Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Need idea for running take your child to work booth

I work at an engineering firm and on Take Your Kids to Work day I will be running a booth that kids are going to stop by. At my booth, I have to have items that the kids (ages 8-13) can construct/deconstruct to demonstrate engineering problems. I can't change this assignment, it has to be something they can build and then take apart. Ideally, the object would only work correctly if you assembled it right.

I don't want it to be too trivial or too hard. I can spend up to $50 of company money for supplies. Anybody have creative ideas for what I could do?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Need idea for running take your child to work booth

Lego?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Aren't you the engineer?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Do they still make Erector (snicker) Sets? Otherwise just go to the toy store. You'll find something.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:45 PM

go with legos if they stop at your booth for <10 minutes and erector set if they have 30 mins to 1 hr.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:04 PM

You might consider going to Fry's and getting some of those snap together electronics labs or get the Snap Circuits Jr. set from hammacher.com. I also have a good Power Point slide set for anyone who might want to give a basic science presentation on electricity - probably most appropriate for second through fourth graders but it could be slightly modified for a bit older audience.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Sorry for the double post but here's the info from hammacher.com if you do a site search on "snap circuits".

Snap Together Circuitboard Kit
With dozens of exciting projects to choose from, this kit teaches children how electricity works and guides them through building their own burglar alarm, flashlight, doorbell, and more. All parts are mounted on plastic modules and snap together easily (no soldering is necessary), and disassemble quickly so they can be used to build something else. The instruction manual introduces children to such electrical terms as "capacitor", "resistor," and "integrated circuit," and takes them step by step through one hundred experiments. Ages 8 and up. 1 H x 12 W x 10" L. (1 lb.)

Item 66495 ................... $29.95
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 PM

That actually sounds like something that would be fun for me...
Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go with legos if they stop at your booth for <10 minutes and erector set if they have 30 mins to 1 hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Legos might work well. I thought about doing something like asking the kids to build a small house with legos and at the end ask them why they chose that design. Only thing is I would be worried that a lot of kids have already seen Legos and might not be entertained. But if I presented it as a contest as to who could build the best house that would probably go well.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the double post but here's the info from hammacher.com if you do a site search on "snap circuits".

Snap Together Circuitboard Kit
With dozens of exciting projects to choose from, this kit teaches children how electricity works and guides them through building their own burglar alarm, flashlight, doorbell, and more. All parts are mounted on plastic modules and snap together easily (no soldering is necessary), and disassemble quickly so they can be used to build something else. The instruction manual introduces children to such electrical terms as "capacitor", "resistor," and "integrated circuit," and takes them step by step through one hundred experiments. Ages 8 and up. 1 H x 12 W x 10" L. (1 lb.)

Item 66495 ................... $29.95

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look that and it seems like it would work well for a group of 2-3. The thing is I could have up to 10 kids at my station. Also, it is being run next Thursday so I would have to be concerned about it shipping in time.

On the other hand it would be cool to have something in addition to legos if I go with that. So if some kid is bored with the legos they can do something more advanced.

What is Fry's btw? I don't know if there is one of those arond me.