Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Stem cell research (and storage)

I know there is great misunderstanding about stem cell research and some fundamentalist will immediately say NO to even contemplating it.

However stem cells can be harvested from the umbilical cord, if done as part or immediately after the birthing process. Indeed Richard Branson (Of Virgin airlines and others, fame [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) has now proposed to set up a stem cell bank in the UK, where parents for a consideration of 1,500 punds would be able to store their children stem cells should it ever be needed to cure genetic diseases. The most interesting thing about the bank that will be funded by Richard Branson, is that 20% of the collected cells of an individual will be stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, the other 80% will be available to research, to save others live (by matching etc.) a bit like blood donation.

I am very interested in anyone that would have a religious basec objection to it! Please do post a reply. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the UK the objection comes from the gynecologists and midwifes that think they may put under extra pressure to collect those samples and therefore increase the risk of problem with birth. I am much more interested in comments from anyone that has a moral or theological argument against the use of an umbilical cord (which is usually discarded) in such a way.

Here is a link to an article in "The Guardian" about this.

I hope that there are no responses to this post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Stem cell research (and storage)

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed Richard Branson (Of Virgin airlines and others, fame ) has now proposed to set up a stem cell bank in the UK, where parents for a consideration of 1,500 punds would be able to store their children stem cells should it ever be needed to cure genetic diseases. The most interesting thing about the bank that will be funded by Richard Branson, is that 20% of the collected cells of an individual will be stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, the other 80% will be available to research, to save others live (by matching etc.) a bit like blood donation.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard about umbilical cord stem cells a couple years back, I thought(albiet not to seriously) about starting some sort of bank here in the United States. I decided I just didn't have the necessary expertise. It seems like a such a common sense ideal, I'm sure its being contemplated by people who have the skill set necessary to make it happen. Not only could you collect a collection fee, but there is risidual income from storage. Icing on the cake is revenue from providing stem cell lines to researchers.

I don't think your going to find anyone with a religious objection to harvesting stem cells from umbilical cords. Religious folk are likely to encourage the behavior.

Stu
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indeed Richard Branson (Of Virgin airlines and others, fame ) has now proposed to set up a stem cell bank in the UK, where parents for a consideration of 1,500 punds would be able to store their children stem cells should it ever be needed to cure genetic diseases. The most interesting thing about the bank that will be funded by Richard Branson, is that 20% of the collected cells of an individual will be stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, the other 80% will be available to research, to save others live (by matching etc.) a bit like blood donation.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard about umbilical cord stem cells a couple years back, I thought(albiet not to seriously) about starting some sort of bank here in the United States. I decided I just didn't have the necessary expertise. It seems like a such a common sense ideal, I'm sure its being contemplated by people who have the skill set necessary to make it happen. Not only could you collect a collection fee, but there is risidual income from storage. Icing on the cake is revenue from providing stem cell lines to researchers.

I don't think your going to find anyone with a religious objection to harvesting stem cells from umbilical cords. Religious folk are likely to encourage the behavior.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? For how long? We are talking about pluripotent cells here, which, with enough research, could be turned into a full human being. No fertilization or conception event necessary. Are you sure that most religious groups would be ok with these being available for research? Up until what point?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know there is great misunderstanding about stem cell research and some fundamentalist will immediately say NO to even contemplating it.

However stem cells can be harvested from the umbilical cord, if done as part or immediately after the birthing process. Indeed Richard Branson (Of Virgin airlines and others, fame [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) has now proposed to set up a stem cell bank in the UK, where parents for a consideration of 1,500 punds would be able to store their children stem cells should it ever be needed to cure genetic diseases. The most interesting thing about the bank that will be funded by Richard Branson, is that 20% of the collected cells of an individual will be stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, the other 80% will be available to research, to save others live (by matching etc.) a bit like blood donation.

I am very interested in anyone that would have a religious basec objection to it! Please do post a reply. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the UK the objection comes from the gynecologists and midwifes that think they may put under extra pressure to collect those samples and therefore increase the risk of problem with birth. I am much more interested in comments from anyone that has a moral or theological argument against the use of an umbilical cord (which is usually discarded) in such a way.

Here is a link to an article in "The Guardian" about this.

I hope that there are no responses to this post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several places that store umbilical stem cells in the U.S. It is utterly routine, it is cheaper than the 1500 pounds mentioned above, and 100% of the collected cells of an individual are stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, as well as a much increased supply if/when effective amplification techniques become available.