Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]
Niss/TM/Oski/etc.
Do you think Lance Williams and Mark Faindru-Wada should be in jail for obstruction of justice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that the govt. spent millions of taxpayers money and after 4+ years finally reached an indictment after 3+ tries(my numbers could be off), you would rate that as a plus to your argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with the resources used in this case. Steroids are dangerous to young people and lying to the grand jury in a criminal investigation is a serious crime. The attention this case will get and the possible deterrent it will be (particularly if there is a conviction) on both steroids use and care-free perjury make it worth every penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

how [censored] naive are you?

barry bonds isn't getting busted cuz he used steroids, he's getting busted cuz he lied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I think I said that. How [censored] illiterate are you?

Of course the Bonds story sends a mixed message on steroids, but a conviction, a few months in jail and one of the best players in baseball shunned by MLB and the HOF as a cheater is an appropriate ending to the tale.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few months in jail? Bonds is facing 30 years. After lying to the feds, do you really think they will plea bargain and let him spend 3 or 4 months in the can? LOL.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Im sure all u haterz are happy. Screw baseball. If Bonds didnt break the record this would be goin on. I didnt hear a big hype when Neifi Perez went down for steroids or any of these other nits. hell check AROD he hits [censored] loads of HRs. Anyways its steroids its not like these guys were smoking crack or some [censored]! Hell roids werent even illegal in baseball then. Flame away!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:51 PM

What odds will you give me on under 3 months?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not that it means much but:

Anderson's attorney, Mark Geragos, said the trainer didn't cooperate with the grand jury that indicted Bonds.

"This indictment came out of left field," Geragos said. "Frankly I'm aghast. It looks like the government misled me and Greg as well, saying this case couldn't go forward without him."

[/ QUOTE ]

... and just before he was about to move to DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, missed this the first time around. Nice.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few months in jail? Bonds is facing 30 years. After lying to the feds, do you really think they will plea bargain and let him spend 3 or 4 months in the can? LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not facing 30 years. Do you believe everything TV anchors tell you?

It really is not up to the prosecutors if he is convicted and he cannot serve 30 years. You can't just add the maxium sentences for the individual offenses. There are guidelines that the judge is required to follow and they are very complex. Based on what we know now, I would estimate (as others have) that Bonds could face as little as 6 months and no more than 5 years if convicted on all counts. (Generally, federal sentences for nonviolent crimes run concurrently and not consecutively)
Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Niss/TM/Oski/etc.
Do you think Lance Williams and Mark Faindru-Wada should be in jail for obstruction of justice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did they "obstruct justice"?

When they refused to name their source, they were in contempt and could have been locked up; but then their source came forward and they could no longer be held in contempt.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW lol at people not wanting Bonds on your team in that poll. I guess you don't want your team to win

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's because Bonds' last few Giants teams were such winners?

Look, if you're some AL GM who wants to sign Bonds as a DH, have at it. But, as the Michael Vick situtation has shown, there's far more to having someone under federal indictment on your roster than potential wins and losses. First and foremost, a major league club is a business. There are attendance and merchandising issues to consider.

Even before the indictment, there were very few teams in the Bonds market. He's a defensive liability at this point, probably won't play more than 120 games, and would hardly take a market value contract for a player who is such position-limited and league-limited. His pride won't let him take a $3m deal to be a 1/2 to 3/4 time DH, and no team is going to pay him $10m a year at this point.

So then, you have to look at the few teams that are actually just an "expected Bonds-production" away from being a champion. The Sox don't need him. The Yanks don't need him. Really, the only team that can afford him and use him. Any marketing value of him breaking Aaron's record passed when he actually broke Aaron's record.

Even if there was no indictment on the horizon, there was at least a reasonable chance Bonds doesn't play in '08, given factors that have absolutely nothing to do with 'roids or perjury.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was obviously kinda sarcastic in that the idea presented by Pudge was "OMG, you don't want your team to optimize winning by signing Bonds?!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I finally figured out the tone--I was lost for a while because it's sarcastic, but not THAT scarcastic, and...forget it. I am going to try to stop thinking about Bonds for a while so that I don't get tired of him until later.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is completely ridiculous. All signs point to Barry Bonds being less of a [censored] then Kirby Puckett who is still probably the most beloved athlete here.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at "all signs". Let's see, he's already acknowledged affairs outside of marriage, aren't there allegations of hush money? There are at least some signs of perjury, obstruction of justice, roid use, possible tax fraud....(I'm not saying any are proven)

Kirby Puckett was no saint, clearly.

But your statement puts the ass in asinine, really.