Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Do i get away from this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t20007)
Hero (t13175)
MP1 (t5375)
MP2 (t16954)
CO (t14888)
Button (t13550)
SB (t59183)
BB (t9770)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t1800, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t3950) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2400</font>, MP2 calls t2400.

Turn: (t8750) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3600</font>, MP2 calls t3600.

River: (t15950) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t1800</font>, Hero calls t1800.

Final Pot: t19550

Should i have thrown my hand away earlier in the pot?

Even though i felt that he had me on the river i felt i had to pay him off. I have seen him make a small bet like that on the river earlier with the nut straight.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Do i get away from this?

The range you can give him based on the end board is AK, 55, and 22. Depending on his skill level you can see a few suited Aces like AJ and AT turn up, but I think he either has AK or air.

You can either go for pot control on the turn and check it, but as played it's impossible to fold the river. Remember, once you bet the turn you're basically saying you're confident the hand is good, since there next to no flush draws or straight draws on the flop that would play to the turn on a raised pot.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The range you can give him based on the end board is AK, 55, and 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the most likely hands that get there that have you beat. But you can't totally discount 34, A5, and even A2 (some people can't lay down an ace pre-flop). Regardless I think this is a call on the river. You've only got to be winning about 1 time in 7 to make calling correct. This is a weaker ace, air, or something like TT that doesn't believe you've hit anything at least one in seven times.

edit: If I'd taken more than a half second to do the math I'd realize it's more like 1 in 8 or 1 in 9, not 1 in 7, that you need to be winning.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Looking back its quite clear to me that I was behind, but sometimes some villains will call on the flop hoping I was raising with a high pair, and they will represent an ace if I check on the turn. In that case i should have checked but i felt i wanted control in the hand.

What should i have done different to get more information?

He did infact turn over the stone cold nuts.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 PM

I dont know.. this isnt that badly played. It kinda depends on opponent as to the best line, and where we can fold.

I like the raise preflop obv, his call then means he has a pocket pair trying to crack us, or an ace high hand.

Thus on the flop, we dont need to bet quite this much, not that its a mistake per se, I probably bet this amount, but this flop has no draws, were either ahead with our aces, or were crushed with little redraws. That leads me to want to play small pot poker. I might check call this pot. I might also lead for third or half pot.

The turn brings the same story. We are either quite ahead of a bad ace, or we are thuroughly crushed with maybe 0-5 outs. I again want to keep a small pot here, and theres no draws that matter. small third pot bet, or I check call small bets, check fold to pot size, possibly depending on opponent.

The river, well, I dont think I can fold for the size of that bet, I just hope he brought AJ all this way.

4Card