Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Default TNA Final Resolution

Who else is watching this PPV tonight? It looks like a loaded card pretty much from top to bottom, with several solid bouts on tap.

The Main Event should be Angle vs. Joe III in an 30 minute Iron Man match, which should end up being the best of their three encounters (which will be tough considering how great last month's match was).

Other matches that have potential include AJ Styles vs. Rhino, LAX vs. The Dudleys, a 3 way match for the X Title with Daniels vs. Sabin vs. Lynn, and Alex Shelly vs. Austin Aries (Starr). Oh. . . and there is also a 3-way Elimination match for the NWA Title between Abyss, Sting, and Christian which will most likely be the weakest match of the night.

Who else is in?

Les
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: TNA Final Resolution

i'll DL it in a couple days...

sucks that they really are blowing off the Angle/Joe feud already. hopefully it will be a draw instead or something.

predictions:
styles
LAX
Sabin
Aries
Abyss? no clue what they'd do with the title, it's a mess anyway

angle/joe-draw
Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 AM

Was a pretty good show. I liked that the ironman match was a high-scoring affair. They often seem to end 0-0 and such (in Joe's ROH ironmans, etc).

VKM didn't annoy me for once, although the Christy Hemme segment was terrible. Basically, all the matches ended with the guy I thought should win winning. It was great.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was a pretty good show. I liked that the ironman match was a high-scoring affair. They often seem to end 0-0 and such (in Joe's ROH ironmans, etc).

VKM didn't annoy me for once, although the Christy Hemme segment was terrible. Basically, all the matches ended with the guy I thought should win winning. It was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show was good, although not as great as I had hoped. I felt real good about the direction of the show and the company as a whole as the first hour ended, but the 2nd hour was a bit off, for my taste.

I liked AJ vs. Rhino in the opener and thought even the finish was booked well. The X Division 3 way was very solid, and Jerry Lynn looked impressive in his return to the ring. I enjoyed the PCS final. The match was crisp, and the the combination of Nash and Backland made for some nice comedy. I wonder how much Nash makes to not wrestle? I even liked the post PCS match angle involving Austin Starr, Senshi, and the rest of the group.

At this point, the show took a drastic turn downhill. I felt the Petey vs. Storm match was basically meaningless, although the angle involving Ms Jackie was noteworthy. The VKM promo was solid, but the Hemme stuff was just weird. (and the whole segment went ENTIRELY way too long). The Tag Title match was just wretched, imho. LAX were hot, but I don't think they have wrestled a watchable match since their feud with Daniels & Styles.

The show rebounded however, with a very good Joe vs. Angle match. I am disappointed they had Joe lose again. I don't think Angle "needed" the win, and now Joe seems like just another wrestler to me. I think they have made him lose his mystique. I would think that after a program with Kurt Angle, Joe would be on top of the wrestling world. Instead, however, they will have to find a way to re-elevate him, imho. The Main Event world title match was solid, and very well booked. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Obviously Christian will lose to Angle next month, so Kurt can be the "face" of TNA for the coming future months.

Les
Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 AM

Didn't watch the show, don't follow TNA, but was this the first Joe/Angle match? If so, having Joe lose is abysmal booking.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't watch the show, don't follow TNA, but was this the first Joe/Angle match? If so, having Joe lose is abysmal booking.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was the third. Although, Joe did lose the first one.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, the show took a drastic turn downhill. I felt the Petey vs. Storm match was basically meaningless, although the angle involving Ms Jackie was noteworthy. The VKM promo was solid, but the Hemme stuff was just weird. (and the whole segment went ENTIRELY way too long). The Tag Title match was just wretched, imho. LAX were hot, but I don't think they have wrestled a watchable match since their feud with Daniels & Styles.

The show rebounded however, with a very good Joe vs. Angle match. I am disappointed they had Joe lose again. I don't think Angle "needed" the win, and now Joe seems like just another wrestler to me. I think they have made him lose his mystique. I would think that after a program with Kurt Angle, Joe would be on top of the wrestling world. Instead, however, they will have to find a way to re-elevate him, imho. The Main Event world title match was solid, and very well booked. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Obviously Christian will lose to Angle next month, so Kurt can be the "face" of TNA for the coming future months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I more or less agree. Petey vs Storm was stupid. I wish Petey would have got the win. I don't like Storm, and breaking up AMW was a bad move, as I feel they're basically two boring guys that together made a decent tag team. Petey isn't so great himself, but I like any chance to see the Canadian Destroyer.

LAX, in general, isn't near as great without Konnan. I blame their bad match more on the Dudleys than on them though. The ending was stupid, but at least LAX still has the titles.

I really hate that TNA is starting a women's division, and as such, didn't like either the Jackie or Hemme stuff. Women's wrestling is, as a rule, worse than good men's wrestling. With the WWE it's somewhat acceptable on the basis that what the women replace isn't good wrestling anyhow--it's just more 3 minute throw-away matches. But on TNA, I feel they have easily enough talent to have a two-hour weekly show (if they ever get two hours) without needing to waste time with women's wrestling.

As for Joe vs Kurt, I'm glad Kurt won. I like Joe, but having Kurt as the champion for a while makes much better sense--he will attract more fans than Joe would. Hopefully Kurt can help build TNA, and they can redo the Joe vs Kurt fued in a year or so for the title, and hopefully by that time TNA will have gained many more fans as well thanks to Kurt.

Yes, Joe seems sort of aimless now (as he seemed before Kurt came, really), but it was either that or just having no clear direction for Angle. Bottom line is, one of them had to lose, and I think TNA made a wise choice.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I more or less agree. Petey vs Storm was stupid. I wish Petey would have got the win. I don't like Storm, and breaking up AMW was a bad move, as I feel they're basically two boring guys that together made a decent tag team. Petey isn't so great himself, but I like any chance to see the Canadian Destroyer.

LAX, in general, isn't near as great without Konnan. I blame their bad match more on the Dudleys than on them though. The ending was stupid, but at least LAX still has the titles.

I really hate that TNA is starting a women's division, and as such, didn't like either the Jackie or Hemme stuff. Women's wrestling is, as a rule, worse than good men's wrestling. With the WWE it's somewhat acceptable on the basis that what the women replace isn't good wrestling anyhow--it's just more 3 minute throw-away matches. But on TNA, I feel they have easily enough talent to have a two-hour weekly show (if they ever get two hours) without needing to waste time with women's wrestling.

As for Joe vs Kurt, I'm glad Kurt won. I like Joe, but having Kurt as the champion for a while makes much better sense--he will attract more fans than Joe would. Hopefully Kurt can help build TNA, and they can redo the Joe vs Kurt fued in a year or so for the title, and hopefully by that time TNA will have gained many more fans as well thanks to Kurt.

Yes, Joe seems sort of aimless now (as he seemed before Kurt came, really), but it was either that or just having no clear direction for Angle. Bottom line is, one of them had to lose, and I think TNA made a wise choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You make some great points.

I like Petey as well, but a match up with Storm isn't really what I would like to see. The one thing about Russo, however, is that he tries to find a reason and a meaning for existence for EVERY member of the roster. He is all about giving the guys a character and a reason to care about them, hence the move with Petey over the last few weeks as a sympathetic pro-USA guy as well as his involvement in the AMW stuff.

I agree about Konnan as well. I hope everyhing turns out well for him on the medical front. Aside from squashes, tho, can you name one entertaining LAX match that didn't also involve AJ & Daniels? I like Homicide and Hernandez has some nice moves, but they haven't proven it to me that THEY can carry a match on their own. Their matches against AMW sucked, and now their match with 3D sucked. I hope I am wrong.

A good women's division won't bother me. I doubt that it will sell many more PPVs, but I don't think it will detract from the product TOO much. There are several women that I would rather watch from a wrestling standpoint than alot of men (Trish, Lita, Ms. Jackie, Alexis Alee). You are very correct when you talk about the need for a longer show, however. It seems that right now, Russo is using the 4-5 weeks of TV shows are pure advertisements for the PPVs. The PPVs are where you will see the actual good matches, because no segment goes more than 5 minutes on the weekly TV show, since he tries to fit so much in. His style is growing on me, and I like alot of what he has done. I just wish that the show was maybe even 90 minutes long and there could be one "real" match every week at least.

I understand what you say about the positives of Kurt winning over Joe. I just really don't know if Joe gained anything out of the entire feud. I guess it depends on how they follow up on it and what they do with him from here. It may end up being alot of fun watching him chase after the title for a few more months before finally getting his shot.

Good post,

Les
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just reading another forum where they have highlights from the Wrestling Observer newsletter posted. A few weeks ago, it said that Spike asked TNA to have more women on TV.

It also said that TNA is fairly close to getting two hours and that the hold up is mainly about negotiating money for a long-term deal.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM

I agree that what is seen of women's wrestling, on television, is pretty bad (except Mickie James, Trish, Lita before she broke her neck...). I suggest taking a look at a promotion called Shimmer. It's an off shoot of Ring Of Honor and has some amazing athletes. Allison Danger is great (she's Steve Corino's sister), Nattie Neidhart has a great future ahead I think, Lorelei Lee, Amber O'Neill...the list keeps going. Check them out sometime.

I just read that the main event this week on Impact! is going to be Kurt Vs AJ! This is a dream matchup. I like the Kurt/Joe fued and I think it gives Joe alot of mainstream cred that he made Kurt tap. I think Kurt will take the belt sometime in the next 2 or 3 months, fued with Abyss, Christian, AJ (it seems like they want him back in the main event spot), maybe Sting, and of course, Samoa Joe.

All in all, I think TNA has a great opportunity to do something in the business. They have a good timeslot now and once they get 2 hours I think they could be a legitimate competitor to Vince. Maybe someday, even a threat.