Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 AM

Default BET OR CHECK BEHIND

UB 2-4

No reads on opponent

Pre-flop:

Villain UTG (Unknown - no reads)
Hero mp2 with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain calls. 3 folds Hero raises to $4.
4 folds, big blind calls.

Flop (board: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks. Villain checks. Hero bets
$2. BB folds. Villain calls.

Turn (board: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks. Hero ? (BET OR CHECK)
Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: BET OR CHECK BEHIND

bet, fold to a raise. (or 3 bet if you have the guts. It's hard for him to have a T, he just checked and called. Limping hands would be AJo, ATs, JTs, KQo, 55-99 or so. More hands without a ten than with. Plus he just checked and call the flop, which gives more weight to overs.)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM

How I handle these situations depends on my image and my opponent. You need fold equity.

Against an unknown I bet. I am assuming that he doesn't know anything about me either. If he has had the opportunity to observe your play for a while but you just haven't been paying attention (Im not saying this is the case) I would take your image into consideration before deciding how to act.

Against weak-tightish opponents I bet. Against calling stations and against tricky and aggressive opponents who know I would semibluff my overs here I will more often take the free card. If I have been caught semibluffing a couple of times I will more often take the free card. If I am winning and running over the table and my image is strong then of course I bet.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Sounds reasonable. Also it would be preferable if you actually had some hand with some showdown value. If he calls, and the river is a blank and he checks again, what do you do. You probably have to check behind (I think a bluff is pointless here, as he already made the decision to play on the turn) So you get your 'free' showdown (actually it would've cost you 1 bet either way) and you will likely loose. One added benefit of betting is that besides fold equity you might be able to show the hand down freely. That's not really of any consequence here. Still, I think against an unknown it's a bet. But I agree that under certain circumstances you might just take a free card and give up. (also note that even if you have the ten you can check behind in some cases. Probably against the same players you would bet here)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds reasonable. Also it would be preferable if you actually had some hand with some showdown value. If he calls, and the river is a blank and he checks again, what do you do. You probably have to check behind (I think a bluff is pointless here, as he already made the decision to play on the turn) So you get your 'free' showdown (actually it would've cost you 1 bet either way) and you will likely loose. One added benefit of betting is that besides fold equity you might be able to show the hand down freely. That's not really of any consequence here. Still, I think against an unknown it's a bet. But I agree that under certain circumstances you might just take a free card and give up. (also note that even if you have the ten you can check behind in some cases. Probably against the same players you would bet here)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet and get called on a board this dry I am probably checking behind but not always. If your opponent is observant he is looking at the same board you are so he will be more likely to put you on the big pair you are representing. On a board with some more draws I almost always bet again.

If I get called I make a note on that player that I got called betting a busted draw so I know to value bet them in the future and I stop semibluffing for a bit.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:53 PM

I am thinking B/F. He could have easily peeled on the flop with nothing and often people who make a T will c/r here. The flip side is that board is totally draw free, you have to know if he will call with nothing and hope to pair his hand on the turn, in which case he just whiffed and a bet becomes a really good idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM

grunch-
check
Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM

id probably check here trying to get a free card and call a river bet or bet if it's checked to me if i hit my top pair. villian probably wouldve bet out with the 10 or maybe check raise 2/4 is wierd sometimes. sounds like he has a pocket pair (maybe slowplay a set). you def. dont want to be check raised here on the turn. take the free card
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I bet and get called on a board this dry I am probably checking behind

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. However, when the top card pairs on the turn, I'm almost always betting. Why? Because my fold equity just shot up. It's much less likely for my opponent to call without a T than with one. And besides, if he does hold a T, then I'm drawing dead, so a free card really doesn't matter (except I save one or more bets by taking one and missing).