Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 50k hands of NL100 - stat check

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fwiw you shouldnt worry about winning more at showdown. can anyone guess why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't really thought about this. Semibluffing for instance leads to showing down weak hands on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, most of the time you never have to call more than a PSB on the river, and assuming youre getting your money in good on other streets, with dead money in hte pot you dont even need to win most of the time.

also, calling light gets you paid off later when you vb thinly
Old 11-20-2007, 06:20 PM

I like your thinking. And your avatar.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Well at least as long as I don't stay at NL100 forever. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But the plan is to crush midstakes by next summer and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
My only advice is to not be scared of moving up. NL200 is not any different from NL100, except you double your hourly rate.

I was playing breakeven NL25 3 months ago, now I'm winning 5ptbb/100 at NL200. And I'm planning on taking shots at NL400 before the end of the month.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only advice is to not be scared of moving up. NL200 is not any different from NL100, except you double your hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

After playing ~70k hands at NL200 I'm inclined to disagree. There are more regs and as with all levels, the players are generally a bit better. I moved up to NL200 in may and before I hit a big downswing I had a winrate of 2-3 ptbb whereas I've always had a winrate of 4-5 at NL100. Current lifetime winrate is probably 0 ptbb. There was a lot of tilt though. The difference isn't huge but it's still there.

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing breakeven NL25 3 months ago, now I'm winning 5ptbb/100 at NL200. And I'm planning on taking shots at NL400 before the end of the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you, hopefully you continue to run well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've been trying to loosen up about the stakes I play. The bulk of my hands are at NL100 for the moment but I also play some NL50 and NL200. I think it's good to be able to move up and down where necessary.

And... major downswings will happen to everyone sooner or later. Be prepared and adjust accordingly. I had too big of an ego to move down the stakes in august when I started losing and it resulted in me spewing chips to what I considered fullblown idiots at NL100 and NL50 until I hit rock bottom and realized I had to do something differently.

Luckily things are turning around now.

Ikestoys had a rough time at 5/10 recently and is now grinding NL200 for a while, which I really admire. It it also the best way IMO to deal with losing, downswinging. When you're running/playing good, play as high as you dare or your bankroll allows, but when things aren't going your way, don't hesitate to move down one or two levels until you feel confident in your game again. You'll only get angry at yourself for the unneccessary spewing.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:28 PM

People keep saying that this is brag. Is that winrate really good? what does your average 2+2 100nl run at?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM

What's yours? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Lower than yours [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Although my MT ratio is higher. I was generally wondering, not saying that 5 isnt good.

I just remember reading bout people talking about 7-8bb/100. Really don't know what is realistic for a solid player?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM

People with 7-8 ptbb/100 should move up, fast. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT: And they usually do.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM

lol, true. I thought that 5 should be the aim for anyone before moving up, think thats about right? Or depend on the person?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Yeah considering the tiltmonkey I am I'm glad to be making 5 ptbb. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And I'm moving up, gradually.

I only had around 3.5 ptbb/100 at ~20k hands of NL50 before I moved up (sometimes in april) but I managed to run well from the start so I didn't have to drop back down (= I'm not a proven winner at NL50 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). It's okay to take shots as long as you're prepared to lose (have a stoploss). And I don't think it's necessary to log 100k hands at every level. But if you feel like you aren't on top of your game I think it's good to set a goal to strive for a certain winrate to prove to yourself that you can beat the games.