Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

the worst thing about it would be the fact that everyone at the final table would have months to prepare. I'd be so pissed if I was there if my terrible opponents (see this years WSOP ME final table) had every pro they could find giving them pointers.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Firstly,

If they did this, im sure they would play out the money for 10th (or whatever the FT bubble boy got) - this way you get a large chunk of your winnings and turn up to play for the rest. If they didnt, i wouldnt be shocked if i saw a lawsuit or at least bad publicity from some poor bastard who went bankrupt whilst effectively having an asset of sorts worth 500k+ (or whatever it is).

Secondly,

Whoever said it is right. The chances of someone dieing or becoming significantly injured to the point they cant return is significantly higher in a 2 month period than in the overnight break they would otherwise have. Its really a remote chance, but you definately gotta feel bad for the guy who could win 8 million in a couple month who dies when he gets in a car accident he dies instantly on the spot. Would his widow be allowed to play? Im not joking there.

Thirdly,

Watching live poker is boring as watching paint dry. Whilst it didnt help that it was really really late here in the UK, i watched a lot of the WSOP FT live and Jerry Yang tilted me SO much taking 5 minutes per hand placing a chip on his cards, working out what to bet and push the chips forward. With holecards it *may* be better to watch, but sure as hell not for your average joe public.

Finally,

This opens a gazzillian doors to cheating that i dont even need to touch on. With that many millions on the line, do you REALLY think someone wont find a way to cheat? I mean, he has 2 months or so to plan ahead for it.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM

That's true enough. All the degen "TV pros" would be fighting to offer their "coaching services" for a percentage.

Just think how tight the bubble would be 10-handed though. Unless of course Hellmuth was short-stacked, then ESPN would just cancel the bubble again.

A downside for TV though would be there presumably couldn't be an audience of hooting idiots, and players would miss out on high-fiving their posse after folding their way up another place, which is an integral part of the experience.

Seriously, I doubt this will happen any time soon but that's the way it's going. It's really amazing how much [censored] poker players will put up with from TV when they're not kicking in a single cent.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
X-Posting in NVG and Tournament Circuit.

Ty Stewart, Director of Sponsorship and Marketing for the World Series of Poker has this idea for the WSOP. I don’t like it much unless somebody adds 3 or 4 million dollars to the final table payouts on top of the prizepool contributed by the players.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a brief discussion about the 2008 World Series of Poker, for which Ty has a blockbuster idea.
He wants to broadcast the Main Event final table LIVE.
WITH HOLE CARDS.
The idea would be to play down to the final table and then adjourn the Series. All the other episodes of the Main Event would air and TV would have a couple months to get to know the players. Then they would reconvene and play a sequestered final table and the later portion of the final table would be broadcast live. The audience would see every player's cards and commentators would be able to analyze the strategy in real time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to source

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a great idea but they need to let each player select four alternates who can be substituted in during the game.
Then when they get heads up the arm wrestle for the whole thing. Wow that would be exciting.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

...absolutely terrible, horrible, no-good, rotten, putrid idea...knowing Harrah's track record, it's probably already been greenlit...
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Winner takes all ftw.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea, but not for the final 9.

The HEADS-UP match, and ONLY the heads-up match, should be saved for live TV with a 2-month break and presented "Mark Burnett" style.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda sucks if the heads-up portion only takes 10 hands
Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's in violation of the gaming commissions rules. It *has* to be taped delayed at least an hour. Not to mention, it'd be boring as hell.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 PM

This idea is beyond stupid.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM

i can't believe this is being discussed seriously by some people. this is, by far, the worst idea to ever come up with regards to the WSOP. this is so stupid and will never happen.