Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

[ QUOTE ]
Sharky's Burritos on Cahuenga destroys all Taco Shops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss their shrimp burrito so much. So tasty. I used to go to one in the valley on the way home from work.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 PM

L.A. Magazine ranked Brent's #1, followed by Langer's #2 and Nat 'n Al #3.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 AM

I went here with my girlfriend while in town for the LAPC:

http://www.sonarestaurant.com/

I can't really compare to what else is there because I've only spent about a week in the city but this place would be first rate in any city. Check it out.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM

if anyone is looking for good BBQ and doesnt mind driving up to the armpit of LA aka the valley, there is a GREAT BBQ joint called the bear pit.
its right at the 118 and sepulveda.
that place is texas BBQ so be warned, if you like south carolina style BBQ check out oinksters in eagle rock (on colorado just west of eagle rock blvd).
they have a great pulled pork sandwich, but their much tauted homemade orange lemonade is meh.

also, does anyone who lives here know of any good mellow hiking trails where you can take dogs off leash?
i'm not looking for any strenous hikes, just something nice and mellow where my dog can run around and explore.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Commerce
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if anyone is looking for good BBQ and doesnt mind driving up to the armpit of LA aka the valley, there is a GREAT BBQ joint called the bear pit.
its right at the 118 and sepulveda.
that place is texas BBQ so be warned, if you like south carolina style BBQ check out oinksters in eagle rock (on colorado just west of eagle rock blvd).
they have a great pulled pork sandwich, but their much tauted homemade orange lemonade is meh.

also, does anyone who lives here know of any good mellow hiking trails where you can take dogs off leash?
i'm not looking for any strenous hikes, just something nice and mellow where my dog can run around and explore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a place called the "Bear Pit", one time. But it was a bar full of big hairy dudes. I think they were lumberjacks or something. Nice guys though, bought me a lot of drinks. Then I don't remember much.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

I will have to try that place. As a KC native I'm required by law to be a big BBQ fan. I like good Texas-style BBQ as well.

As far as hiking with your dog, I see people take dogs w/o leashes on the trails up by the Hollywood sign all the time. I saw Susan Dey with her dog running around up there once. Just make sure they don't harass the horses.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where can you find a good breakfast in LA? I was there for the first time this summer and always got stuck eating turkey bacon and fruit. This was a huge disappointment as I am a big fan of greasy spoon breakfast joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read the rest of the thread but S&W Country Dinette on Washington in Culver City makes one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. Definitely get the hash browns. Oh and it is very greasy.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably get the "hip casual" look down better than most of you young guys anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Make an instructional video. Put it on youtube. Some of us need help.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find Jonathan Gold's list of 99 best restaurants in LA. They vary widely in price so there's something for you no matter what you want. He's the best food critic ever and though I've had a couple of misses if you just start going to the restaurants on that list you will be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT (he just won a James Beard Award).

Map with Reviews of This Year's Essential 99

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to go to chowhounds message board for good restaurant ideas. I went to the map posted above, and apparently there are only two good restaurants south of the 10 freeway. That is some narrow minded thinking.

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/2
Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 AM

Man I meant to do this thread so long ago. Glad to see someone finally came around and asked. I will make my contribution later but I have a request: can someone post any shortcuts to any place? It will be of great help. A friend told me how he can get to Pasadena through the Bel-Air mountain from Westwood. Personal request: Can someone tell me any shortcut going to downtown (4th street).