Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 AM

Default How much of your bankroll should you keep online?

If you currently have ~250 BIs for your MTTs of choice, how much of that is needed to keep online?

Do you cash out on a regular/consistant basis? Do you try and keep your online bankroll @ a stable # and cash out the profit(what # is that in relation to buyin)? Does anyone keep it all online until they actually need it?

Reasoning appreciated.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: How much of your bankroll should you keep online?

[ QUOTE ]
If you currently have ~250 BIs for your MTTs of choice, how much of that is needed to keep online?

Do you cash out on a regular/consistant basis? Do you try and keep your online bankroll @ a stable # and cash out the profit(what # is that in relation to buyin)? Does anyone keep it all online until they actually need it?

Reasoning appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep mine safe and secure in an "e-wallet." I mean, what could possibly happen to it there?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Reasoning appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the size of your MTT of choice. If your MTT of choice is a $3 tourney, I wouldn't bother cashing out $250 every time you hit a grand... Just not worth it. Better to watch it build and take shots / cash out bigger when you can.

But if you're playing ~$20 MTTs, and have no desire to move up (other than taking a shot once in a while), there's nothing wrong with that type of a system where you'll cash out a grand every once in a while, keeping your BR at about 2500 - 3000...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Reasoning appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

After a big score I'll normally cashout some. I try to maintain a minimum of 100 buy-ins and wouldn't take out cash to bring my balance down below 120-130 buy-ins. I'll consider taking some out if I exceed 150 buy-ins (definitely once I'm over 200 buy-ins). If I start approaching 80 buy-ins I get nervous and would probably move down a notch if it happened, but so far I've only come close.

My rationale for taking the money out is I want to see something tangible as a reward whether it's a new computer or a lower credit card bill. A constantly increasing online bankroll isn't enough. However getting money in is a hassle I don't want to deal with so I try to maintain enough so that my risk of ruin is low. That's why I'd move down if my roll got below 80 buy-ins.

What your minimum and maximum level ought to be obviously depends on field size and variance. In Chris Ferguson's experiment to take his bankroll from $0 to $10,000 on Full Tilt his self-imposed rules stated that he couldn't buy-in to an MTT with more than 2% of his bankroll (50 buy-ins). For me aiming to maintain 100 buy-ins seems reasonably conservative. At the point where I'm ready to increase my average buy-in I'll increase my balance accordingly. Usually I'll consider doing that after taking a shot at a higher buy-in and hitting a big score (at least big for me at that time).
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Continue to build the BR,,,move up in stakes and build until you need some bucks.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Hwo quickly you can move money onto a site is a miles more important factor than anything else.

Id rather have the bare minimum on a site and the rest in my bank account - but im lazy so dont cash out - either way i have the advantage that as a euro i can deposit instantly with my maestro card. If your american and its some stupid process to deposit that takes ages then keep as much as you reasonably need for that time period online.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Overall I will always cash out 1/2 my profits.

I'm going to cash out mid November in order to help buy Christmas Gifts, etc. I will prob cash out in Feb after that because of my girlfriend's birthday. After that I have no idea when I will again.