Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Suburban Cops

This post is somewhat inspired by the recent hit and run post. Is there anyone else who has had an experience with small suburban cops having their priorities completley screwed up?

A couple months ago my sister was driving and came to a stop at a red light behind this SUV. For some reason the person in the SUV put their car in reverse and smashed into the front of my sister's car. The SUV had this hitch on the back which caused a huge hole in the front of my sister's car. The light then turned green a few seconds later and the SUV just drove off. My sister followed the person for about ten minuted until finally she drove into a parking lot and walked into building. My sister followed her inside to where this woman worked. She confronted the woman and her response was "Oh, was that you that I hit?".

So basically this woman admitted to hitting someone and then just driving away. My sister called the cops and her insurance company. The cops showed up and didn't do a thing. They didn't even give the woman a ticket, let alone arrest here.

These cops that didn't do anything are the same cops that gave my mom a ticket for "driving faster than a police officer". She wasn't speeding, she simpy drove faster than a cop that was going about five mph below the speed limit.

These are also the same cops that arrested one of my, at the time, 20 year old friends for underage drinking. They didn't actually catch him drinking, but they asked him if he had been drinking. He decided to tell the truth and say that he had one beer a couple hours ago. Instead of paying the fine, he has the option to take these divergence classes about the effects of underage drinking. The amusing part is that he is now of legal age to drink, so there is a 21 year old taking classes telling him not to drink until he's 21.

Anyone else had any experiences with cops like this? I'm completley dumbfounded.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Suburban Cops

I once received a ticket for obstructing traffic on a closed road.

Scott
Old 02-10-2006, 04:59 AM

Lol, that's pretty good. Where in Ohio are you from? The cops I'm talking about are the ones in Worthington, OH near Columbus.

The people at the courthouse who dealt with my friends arrest actually made a comment about what a waste of tax money the Worthington cops are.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cops showed up and didn't do a thing. They didn't even give the woman a ticket, let alone arrest here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had done either of those things, how would that have helped you?

[ QUOTE ]
These cops that didn't do anything are the same cops that gave my mom a ticket for "driving faster than a police officer". She wasn't speeding, she simpy drove faster than a cop that was going about five mph below the speed limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a law against what she did? If there is, don't blame the cops, they don't make the law.

If there isn't, I hope your mom didn't pay the ticket without a fight.

(Personally, that's the dumbest law I ever heard of; I can't believe it exists; I would certainly ascertain whether or not it did exist before paying any fine; and finally, if it did exist, I would lead the crusade to have that law repealed.)

[ QUOTE ]
These are also the same cops that arrested one of my, at the time, 20 year old friends for underage drinking. They didn't actually catch him drinking, but they asked him if he had been drinking. He decided to tell the truth and say that he had one beer a couple hours ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, is there a law against this? Sure there is! Don't blame the cops.

If your complaint is, "Don't these cops have something better to do than harrass us law-abiding citizens?", you're striking out. The 20-year-old was NOT law abiding that night. And your mother, it seems, also came across a law she wasn't abiding (though I'm still hoping that no such silly law exists).

If your complaint is, "Cops shouldn't bother people with this ticky-tack stuff," I suggest you move to the inner city, where I assure you, the cops do NOT bother with these sorts of infractions. I hope you'll be very happy there.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your complaint is, "Cops shouldn't bother people with this ticky-tack stuff," I suggest you move to the inner city, where I assure you, the cops do NOT bother with these sorts of infractions. I hope you'll be very happy there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this certainly isn't true here at USC in South Central; the cops love bringing in helicopters to break up parties and giving underage drinking tickets to college students while their classmates are mugged and beaten just a couple blocks away.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they had done either of those things, how would that have helped you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? This woman committed a hit and run and didn't get punished at all for it. I see that as a problem. It doesn't "help" me at all, but that doesn't mean I think nothing should be done by the police.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a law against what she did? If there is, don't blame the cops, they don't make the law.

If there isn't, I hope your mom didn't pay the ticket without a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ticket was technically for speeding 5 mph above the the limit. My mom insists that she wasn't going over the speed limit at all and in fact the cop didn't actually tell her she was speeding. The only thing the cop said was "Never drive faster than a police officer." I really don't think it was worth my mom's time to contest a little speeding ticket like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, is there a law against this? Sure there is! Don't blame the cops.

If your complaint is, "Don't these cops have something better to do than harrass us law-abiding citizens?", you're striking out. The 20-year-old was NOT law abiding that night. And your mother, it seems, also came across a law she wasn't abiding (though I'm still hoping that no such silly law exists).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing the point of my post. I was refering to cops having their priorities screwed up. The fact that they let a woman get away with a hit and run while arresting a 20 year and 50 week old person for underage drinking is pretty ridiculous.

I also think it is the cop's responsibility to use a little commen sense when making an arrest. I assume the whole point of punishing a person for drinking underage is to make sure they stop drinking until they're 21. What's the point in this for a person that won't even start their "punishment" until they are 21. It just seems pretty stupid to me
Old 02-10-2006, 01:07 PM

Do I dare say it here but I will. This sounds more like a bad beat story then anything else.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this certainly isn't true here at USC in South Central; the cops love bringing in helicopters to break up parties and giving underage drinking tickets to college students while their classmates are mugged and beaten just a couple blocks away.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks, but as far as I could ever tell in New York City, the cops take care of the business. Once in a while you'll get nailed for some traffic infraction in the city, but NYPD takes care of important biznass first and foremost. And then parking tickets...
Old 02-10-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is such awful reasoning
Old 02-10-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is such awful reasoning

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't. The job of the police is to ENFORCE the law, and they are bound to enforce every law on the books in their jurisdiction.