Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Dealing with bullies in STTs

I've recently started playing at Pokerstars, and have been doing relatively well at the low-stakes STTs (I'm not saying I'm a good player, to the contrary, I know I'm not - yet. That's why I'm here!)
Anyway, I just wanted to talk about bullies: the kind that sit to your right and always raise into you when you're on the BB. Please take a look at the following hand, and tell me if I'm on the right track (as far as dealing with them is concerned) or if my solution is way off base and I was lucky that this guy folded this hand (keeping in mind that he was doing this the whole tournament, right up until he busted out in 4th place.)

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1105)
UTG+1 (t1433)
MP1 (t2122)
CO (t4005)
Button (t1935)
SB (t1570)
Hero (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t200</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, SB calls t100

Flop: (t750) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>

I'm also tempted to ask if you would act differently without that mid-pair, but I'm fairly certain that that pair is more or less irrelevant.

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Dealing with bullies in STTs

Fold preflop or push over his min-raise
Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 AM

its good to play back at him, but he will always call the min reraise, and then he takes first stab at the pot.

with those size stacks, go with your gut and either push or fold.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 AM

What's the purpose of your re-raise preflop?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 AM

I really dont like your miniraise preflop, because you give him odds for any play.
I really like your postflop play. Perfect. And you are right...your cards are not the reason to make that play. His 200 Bet smells like real weakness.

Still i would prefer to push preflop. By that you let him know that he can`t attack your blinds. If there are less players in the tournament i really loosen up very much. And i look for players like you, who seem not to defend their blind with a shove I just keep raising every hand. But if i see that somebody stands up, i am more likely not to attack him. There are enough weak player, whose blinds i can take literally every time. Maybe you wanna try that approach. But do it later, when you are close to the money (and of course, you have doubled up at least once). Thats the time, where people tighten up, even the "gamblers" who moved all in in L1 with any pocket pair.

Actually i first did that in order to see the situation out of the view of the maniac. It really helps. No i am a Maniac myself...Its profitable and fun (of course only if they let you. If not, i just tighten up again).
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the purpose of your re-raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

To show him whose boss!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 AM

YES @Bradley...Thats the conlusion of my post in a few words
Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 AM

wierd post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 AM

If you're going to defend I'd call preflop. If you're going to re-raise preflop then push. The min re-raise is pointless. As played, push the flop.