Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM

Default $5.5 getting even tighter in the 1st two levels

Up to now my default is to raise with JJ+ (sometimes TT) and AKs in the first two levels of a STT. However, I'm considering limping with JJ and AKs now.

Before I start, I believe I am quite a decent post flop player.

O.k. Well what usually happens when I raise with JJ/AKs to a standard amount (depending on limpers etc), is that it rarely seems to kick anyone out of the hand. The flop misses AK or an overcard comes (JJ) most of the time, and I have to c/f against >2 opponents. So maybe if I just limp and play it very hard if flop comes A/K high (AKs), or <T high (JJ). Is this just way too tight?

I don't really like playing extremely tight poker, and this is about as tight as you can get, but I think it might be worth it at this level.

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: $5.5 getting even tighter in the 1st two levels

Do not stop raising AK pre-flop, everrr. Same with AQ and JJ. TT early on a limp is fine.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:06 PM

I never raise with AQs/AKo anyway. Do you think this is too tight? The way I see it is that your hand is definded by the flop, I think that's the summary of the strongest argument not to raise with these hands.

Anyone else?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:11 PM

I also find it very difficult to play JJ early 9-handed at low stakes because they will call almost anything. I play it for set value only and I'm prepared to fold it if I miss and do not have the overpair. Re-evaluate at higher stakes.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also find it very difficult to play JJ early 9-handed at low stakes because they will call almost anything. I play it for set value only and I'm prepared to fold it if I miss and do not have the overpair. Re-evaluate at higher stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
jj is only good for set value in a multiway pot anyway.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never raise with AQs/AKo anyway. Do you think this is too tight?
Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never? Ya thats too tight.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 AM

Raising and then betting the flop no matter what comes or what you have if it's HU after the flop is usually only a marginally unprofitable play in most positions against most opponents. Starting with AK pushes this into being a profitable play as if you hit something you usually have a hand worth playing for stacks in a SNG, especially when the hands that poor players will call your raise with then stack off on the flop with often contain an ace or king.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:06 AM

Hey tmwstw, you are tighter than a rook...
do you at least shove in this buy-in level with JJ+ and AK after a raise behind you? So many player will call you with 66,77 etc...Beeing scared of missing the flop shouldnt be a concern, cause this will happen most of the time...I`d recommend to raise a bigger amount and make a contibet. Most of the time you can take it uncontested down on the flop, because it misses your opponents most of the time, too.

Another hint: At 11$ buyins i regurlary stack my opponents with AK when i hit a Pair, cause they keep calling raises with any Ace. So remember that, even if you have to laydown Bigslick sometimes, if you dont improve. They will usually pay you off.

Btw...how long are you playing SNG?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey tmwstw, you are tighter than a rook...
do you at least shove in this buy-in level with JJ+ and AK after a raise behind you? So many player will call you with 66,77 etc...Beeing scared of missing the flop shouldnt be a concern, cause this will happen most of the time...I`d recommend to raise a bigger amount and make a contibet. Most of the time you can take it uncontested down on the flop, because it misses your opponents most of the time, too.

Another hint: At 11$ buyins i regurlary stack my opponents with AK when i hit a Pair, cause they keep calling raises with any Ace. So remember that, even if you have to laydown Bigslick sometimes, if you dont improve. They will usually pay you off.

Btw...how long are you playing SNG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am very tight, never used to be, but at this level I strongly believe it's the only way to play. I'm never folding JJ+/AK againt 2 or less all-ins, I'm always going to push agaisnt a big raise, but I think I have a strong argument for just limping with these hands in the 1st 2 levels.

In response to your suggestion to raise to a bigger amount, I think that's a bad idea, alot of players don't really mind what you raise it to and will still call with 98s because someone told them, at sometime that suited connectors are the best hands in poker. Believe me they do this, I've seen my friend do this, he's a terrible player, and I think it is typical of the players at this level. In regards to your cbet tactics. I am never (~99% of the time) cbetting into 3 or more opponents when I miss. The risk isn't worth it. In my experience, if I took your advice, all I would be doing for myself would be creating a huge pot early on with a marginal holding most of the time.

O.k. so sometimes I'll isolate a player with Ax and I'll get paid off if an A hits. However, in my experience they will pay me off anyway, if I raised the pot pf or not.

The way I see it is that raising pf in tournaments, at this level serves two purposes. Firstly, to isolate the players, and secondly as a value bet, because you have a good hand. However, at this level your opponents aren't going to "respect your bets" often enough to get them to fold. So alot of value is lost, because idiots with Q8 are still calling.

I know this is incredibly weak poker, but the way I see it, weak poker agaisnt weak opponents. Strong poker against strong ones.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it is that raising pf in tournaments, at this level serves two purposes. Firstly, to isolate the players, and secondly as a value bet, because you have a good hand. However, at this level your opponents aren't going to "respect your bets" often enough to get them to fold. So alot of value is lost, because idiots with Q8 are still calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is ahead of Q8, so when they call your pre-flop raise, you are gaining money each time. Your raise is for VALUE.