Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 02:03 AM

Default AK stats and thoughts

Since AK crops up so frequently I feel it's an important hand to play well under many circumstances. Sure it's easy when an A or K flops, but the other 2/3rds of the time one can be faced with difficult situations.

My stats ~40k hands

BB/hand: +0.71 (+0.93 suited, +0.66 off)
W$WSF: 52.07%
WtSD: 52.07%
W$SD: 61.21%

Some thoughts after whiffing the flop:

Heads up always fire a continuation bet. Against a blind what to do when faced with a CR? Call and fold the turn UI?
Out of position against a cold-caller, what to do when faced with a CR? I feel with paint on the board it can be an easy fold, but what about with rags on the flop? Only worry is a pp. Ck/call down UI?

Against two players sometimes I will check, sometimes I fire a continuation depending on the flop texture. With a paired board I almost always fire.

Against three or more players I will check unless I flop a gutshot to broadway. Then I tend to bet since I have as many as 10 outs and if not CR'd will usually allow me to get to the river for free.

Thoughts, comments and even laughs are appreciated.

BO
Old 11-22-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: AK stats and thoughts

I think it is important to mix up your lines with unimproved AK, sometimes being very tight and passive and other times being very aggressive and loose. Some factors to consider are how tight or loose and passive or aggressive your opponents are, the board texture and your relative position.

For example, with position against one aggressive opponent who knows me well I might play it like the nuts, although more often than not I will take a free showdown. Out of position against two loose passive opponents I might check fold the flop.

The board has a lot to do with my approach also. With experience you will learn the types of flops and situations where you can get folds and drag pots and when you will just be spewing chips.

Dont be too afraid to get caught at showdown with AK high either. If you arent showing this down fairly regularly you are playing too weak-tight imo.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: AK stats and thoughts

The only other generality to add to this, is are your opponents coldcallers, or are they limpers or blinds that got raised. Coldcallers, usually have a bigger hand than limpers.