Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Default NL10 TPTK OOP raised on flop - I\'m totally lost here

Alright, this is totally horrible. I have no reads on this guy because he just sat down. The table was basically tight with a weak spot or two. Most pots are folded on the flop. I'll give you the tragedy first then follow with my thoughts:

Ultimate Bet No Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed)

SB ($18.40)
BB ($9.58)
BatsShadow ($13.21)
MP ($44.65)
CO ($3.10)
Button ($9.60)

Preflop: BatsShadow is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">BatsShadow raises to $.40</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.95) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BatsShadow bets $.65</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.30</font>, BatsShadow calls.

Turn: ($3.55) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BatsShadow checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2.25</font>, BatsShadow calls.

River: ($8.05) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BatsShadow bets $2.50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button goes all-in for $5.65</font>, BatsShadow calls.

My thoughts on all streets:

Preflop:
AK, duh raise

Flop:
Yay, I hit, but the flop is super draw heavy. I'm betting smallish because I want to bet the turn to make draws pay but I don't like making the pot too big. Crap, he raised me. No clue what that means because there are so many hands he could have. My thoughts of his range at the time (pure guess): KQ, KJ, oesd, flush draw. I considered raising again, but I don't want the pot getting that big.

Turn:
The thought running through my head is this could get out of control and I have no idea where I'm at. Should I have donked instead of checked since the card is safe? Now he bets the 2/3 pot. In hind site, I think I should've just check/folded here.

River:
I still do not know if he has KQ or a missed draw. Only a backdoor draw got there, the only hand I fear is KJ or a set. I tried to make a blocking bet that doesn't look too stupid, but when he raised all in, he didn't have enough chips and I felt like I had to call getting 6:1 or whatever.

What is your standard line in this situation - TPTK OOP draw heavy board gets raised? How can I keep the pot small or figure out where I'm at so I can fold?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: NL10 TPTK OOP raised on flop - I\'m totally lost here

Your mistake here was calling his min-raise on the flop. It's a fairly drawy board and your almost always ahead here. Put in a strong raise and the hand plays much easier. If he calls shove the turn.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 PM

I disagree with your decision not to re-raise on the flop.

Find out where you are while the pot is still small. If villain has a monster and has got you beat, re-raising the flop will usually induce a push from villain. You'll have to decide what you want to do from there, but at least the pot isn't so big you can't get away from it. But, since you are heads up and you have no reads, re-raising also puts villain to the test will only the flop is out.

If villain is drawing on the flop, you re-raise, and the flop comes a blank 4 as it did, and you bet big, he can't call.

If villain is really weak on the flop, and just wanted to look threatening like his raise was for value, you re-raise, he can't call since he got caught with nothing.

I think you're better off re-raising, especially heads up. You'll find out more sooner, and based on this if you think you're beat, it'll end up being cheaper to get out. If you think you're ahead, then full steam ahead.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 PM

BET 3/4 POT ON FLOP, IF HE CALL, BET TURN, IF HE CALL , C/C RIVER. YR BET SEEM SO WEAK ON FLOP GIVE HIM ODD TO OUTDRAW U.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 PM

i don't mind flop play at all. if he has jacks you don't want to push him off a hand. i would of check raised turn but calling isnt terrible. it would help if you had a read
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Find out where you are while the pot is still small. If villain has a monster and has got you beat, re-raising the flop will usually induce a push from villain. You'll have to decide what you want to do from there, but at least the pot isn't so big you can't get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we really 3-bet here and get away from it? What reraise size do we need to enable us to do this. Any decent re-raise is going to put half our stack in the middle and I don't like folding after committing that much.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM

Sounds like there isn't a consensus here.

What 3bet size do you all recommend on the flop? If we put in $4 on the flop, do we just shove the turn?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM

3 bet his miniraise on the flop plz.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like there isn't a consensus here.

What 3bet size do you all recommend on the flop? If we put in $4 on the flop, do we just shove the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hes got chit left 4 a stack if he calls the 3 bet
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 PM

Grunch

Shove the turn over his bet. I think stackadonk is fine with this hand. As played don't block the river, if you bet small it's to induce a shove and call which is fine IMO. There isn't much you lose to, KJ, K6, 66. Check/call river is best, probably.