Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Structured Limit v Spread Limit - what modifications are needed?

Colorado gaming is limited w/max bets of $5. That said, the only limit games spread are $2/$5 spread limit hold'em. I am a successful $3/$6, $4/$8 and $5/$10 stuctured limt hold'em player both on-line and B&M but have really struggled to break-even at spread limit B&M games. For anyone out there experienced w/spread limit hold'em, what are the potential leaks in my game? I'm sure I could tighten my starting requirements, but what other advice is out there?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Structured Limit v Spread Limit - what modifications are needed?

Just moved out of Colorado this summer. That state has by far the most backwards gambling laws I've ever seen. Talk about a tax on poor people...it's just sick. You'd be best off to try to find a decent home game, or stick to their 'decent' tournaments.

These spread limit games are a little tricky, and for the most part, unbeatable. With a $5 rake, the money flies off the table. And, since the average pot-size is only around $30-$60, it's very unlikely that anyone is coming out more than $10 per hour ahead. Anyone who is claiming more than that is flat out lying or has no sample size.

If you absolutely must play, I'd say there's some basic things to remember.
1) Try to take advantage of seeing flops when it's only $2, especially in late position. There a lot of "call-call-call" $2 pre-flop hands, and whoever hits gets to collect $5 bets for the rest of the hand.
2) Don't play suited connectors or medium-small pairs for even a minraise preflop. These hands have absolutely no value without the implied big bets on the turn and river. It's a big thing to raise it to $5 ("straight-five"), and it's tempting to jump in since the flop bets are almost always $5. There's that 5-10 feeling where you call for $5, the flop is $5, and then in the back of your mind you're thinking set=big pot. Instead, you get called down by 2 guys and pull in a $40-$50 pot.
3) Semi-bluffs have little to no value. Again, with smaller implied odds and easy-to-call turn and river bets, there's no reason to semi-bluff or even bluff at all really.
4) Basically, play "Showdown Poker". Bet your strong hands, and try to get to showdown with your weaker hands.

Again, stay away from these games if you can, as they are most likely unbeatable, or barely beatable. There is definitely a decent home game in your neighborhood somewhere, so try to find it.