Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Default How wrong is it not to rebuy, add-on?

I play low buy-in rebuy ($3,$5,$10) tourneys on Stars. I used to always rebuy, but lately, I have been bailing out if I get stacked in the last 15 minutes of the rebuy period.

There is little time left to get a good hand to double or triple up on and it will cost me 3 more buyins to get a stack of 5000 after 2 buyins, addon. The average stack after the break is always over 5K, so I figure I will just save the money for other tourneys.

I know it is theoretically incorrect not to rebuy, but is this slightly incorrect, moderately incorrect or hugely incorrect. Anyone else here do the same?

Also, I usually don't add-on if I have over 7K, which is usually around what the average stack is after the break. I have read here that you are always supposed to add-on, but my thinking has been that it won't make that much of a difference and it would be better to use that money for another tourney. I suppose 7K is kind of a low threshold, but at 10K or more, I would feel as if I was wasting money. Anyone else here have an add-on threshold?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: How wrong is it not to rebuy, add-on?

Did this yesterday. Search function
Old 08-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Welcome to the forums helter. May I suggest reading the Anthology post and assorted links at the top of the forum for advice on rebuy tournies, and many other topics of interest.

On a personal note, I don't do a lot of rebuy tournies myself except for satellite events. But I play those somewhat differently than a standard MTT Rebuy. I usually rebuy once right away and plan to add-on no matter what. If I bust along the way, I'm done. I play these satellites to get a cheap entry into a higher buy-in tourney, so keeping cost down for me is a chief concern. My goal is to double up at least once during the rebuy period, trying to snap off bluffs or get all-in with premium hands vs. garbage because my opponents are counting on their ability to rebuy to save them in case they lose. As for the add-on, I always do it because I'd rather have the extra chips. Very rarely do you have so many chips that an extra 2000 or so doesn't make a difference. I mean, with 7K you could addon to 9K. If you double up, that's the difference between 14K and 18K. Double again, and it's the difference between 28K and 36K. That's significant if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm by no means the authority on this, and again this is how I play satellites with rebuys. Other members here who play standard MTT rebuy tournies may have better advice for you.

--TFGoose
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM

If I am the CL after the rebuy period by a significant amount, I might not add on. Otherwise, I am adding on.

Also, I do think there are times when you shouldn't rebuy.

Take for instance a Turbo-R. At the end of the rebuy period, you will be starting at level 7. Even with a double rebuy and an add-on, you are going to be pretty shortstacked. So if wasn't very deep at the end of level 6 (like last few minutes) I'd do whatever I could to double up or bust out and go home. Make sense?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM

If buy in is for 1500 chips and add on is 1500 chips.
Then my treshold level is 5k somehow
But what to do when you bust,is it better to leave,or do extra 2 buy ins?That problem is uncertain to me.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Theoretically, the only time you shouldn't add-on is if you have at least 10% of the total chips in play.

The general rule of thumb is that you should take every rebuy you can, even so far as trying to double up on the last hand and if you bust, double rebuy and add-on. You'll still have over 30 big blinds (unless its a turbo) and that gives you enough play considering the relative skill level of the opposition *and* the size of the prize pool.

My approach is to multiply the buy-in by 7 and treat that as my average investment. If I get away for the minimum (3 buy-ins) I'm getting a deal.

The biggest thing is that to play a rebuy, you should have a bankroll that makes you not freak out if you have to rebuy, say 15 times. Ultimately, say its a $3 rebuy on stars. 15 rebuys means you spent a total of $48 for a tourney that has a 1st prize of over $5k. If you play enough of them, you'll build up a good enough stack for 3 buy-ins often enough to make the occaisional time you have to spend 15 not feel that bad.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 PM

In mathematically add-on is the best value when your stack is 1500.
But i dont agree,that when your stack is 7000 and you do add-on for 2000 chips.Your maximum double up invcreases from 14k to 16k.This works only if your opponents are high stacks.
It seems you should increase your thereshold level,when this is fish tournaments.You need more chips to see flops and trap morons.
But if u face strong players,then add-on isnt so valuable.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your maximum double up invcreases from 14k to 18k.This works only if your opponents are high stacks.

[/ QUOTE ] (fyp too)

I think we have a terminology issue here. Obviously the only way to "double up" at all is if your opponent covers you. So indeed, going from 7K to 9K does increase your double up potential from 14K to 18K. Yes, in order to make maximum use of your addon-enhanced stack, you'd need to be facing an opponent who has more chips than you. But that's certainly not a stretch in a rebuy tournament.

--TFGoose
Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 PM

The level of play for the 3-4 hours following the rebuy periods in these big 3/5/11r's on stars (with the large guarentees) is SO SO SO poor, compared to the amount of money at stake.

For example, following the 1st break in the 11r, the average chipstack is usually about 6500 - which is about $40 worth of buyins. However, the play is much worse than you would find at the beginning of the daily 50k ($55 buyin). And many people say the daily 50k is quite juicy.

Basically if you are a decent player, any approach you take to these tournaments will be +EV. So just do whatever you find more enjoyable/comfortable and don't worry about mathy things when deciding to rebuy or just quit.

But seriously, always add-on in these big rebuy fields.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forums helter. May I suggest reading the Anthology post and assorted links at the top of the forum for advice on rebuy tournies, and many other topics of interest.

On a personal note, I don't do a lot of rebuy tournies myself except for satellite events. But I play those somewhat differently than a standard MTT Rebuy. I usually rebuy once right away and plan to add-on no matter what. If I bust along the way, I'm done. I play these satellites to get a cheap entry into a higher buy-in tourney, so keeping cost down for me is a chief concern. My goal is to double up at least once during the rebuy period, trying to snap off bluffs or get all-in with premium hands vs. garbage because my opponents are counting on their ability to rebuy to save them in case they lose. As for the add-on, I always do it because I'd rather have the extra chips. Very rarely do you have so many chips that an extra 2000 or so doesn't make a difference. I mean, with 7K you could addon to 9K. If you double up, that's the difference between 14K and 18K. Double again, and it's the difference between 28K and 36K. That's significant if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm by no means the authority on this, and again this is how I play satellites with rebuys. Other members here who play standard MTT rebuy tournies may have better advice for you.

--TFGoose

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I am right now in the process of reading anthology posts. Most of the posts reference other posts, so it is going to take awhile. Anyway, I wanted to know if I was making a costly mistake in this aspect of tourney play while I continue my reading.

It sounds like you rebuy once at the start and then quit if you get stacked, if I am reading your post correctly. And then add-on if you are still alive.

[ QUOTE ]
If I am the CL after the rebuy period by a significant amount, I might not add on. Otherwise, I am adding on.

Also, I do think there are times when you shouldn't rebuy.

Take for instance a Turbo-R. At the end of the rebuy period, you will be starting at level 7. Even with a double rebuy and an add-on, you are going to be pretty shortstacked. So if wasn't very deep at the end of level 6 (like last few minutes) I'd do whatever I could to double up or bust out and go home. Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played many turbos, but I agree. I would be even less inclined to rebuy because of the higher level.

[ QUOTE ]
Theoretically, the only time you shouldn't add-on is if you have at least 10% of the total chips in play.

The general rule of thumb is that you should take every rebuy you can, even so far as trying to double up on the last hand and if you bust, double rebuy and add-on. You'll still have over 30 big blinds (unless its a turbo) and that gives you enough play considering the relative skill level of the opposition *and* the size of the prize pool.

My approach is to multiply the buy-in by 7 and treat that as my average investment. If I get away for the minimum (3 buy-ins) I'm getting a deal.

The biggest thing is that to play a rebuy, you should have a bankroll that makes you not freak out if you have to rebuy, say 15 times. Ultimately, say its a $3 rebuy on stars. 15 rebuys means you spent a total of $48 for a tourney that has a 1st prize of over $5k. If you play enough of them, you'll build up a good enough stack for 3 buy-ins often enough to make the occaisional time you have to spend 15 not feel that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to give up on a tourney, but I guess I am intuitively thinking that the added investment in the present tourney might yield less than the same investment might yield in just starting over in a new tourney. It would be nice if one could separate the ROI from rebuy and add-ons from overall ROI.