Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Using the turn min-raise

I was wondering how often the more experienced winning players use the so often maligned min-raise to bluff the turn. So often I find myself in a spot where I have an overpair type hand and my opponent will min-raise or check min-raise on the turn. I almost always fear a set in this case and get stuck. I thought that I was seeing this way too much at the micro levels for all of these to be sets so I thought that people may be using it as a bluff a lot of the time.

I tried this out myself today with some mixed results. I am not at my reg PC right now so these are from memory. This hand is from 25NL full ring w/ full stacks.

Reads: Villain is about 10/3/1.5 and seems to be playing only premium hands even in LP and plays pretty decently postflop. I pretty much put him on QQ+ due to the PF re-raise and his PFR of 3 so I am initially playing for set value.

Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP1

Hero raises to $1, Villain in CO raises to $2.50, Hero calls

Flop - 789r

Hero bets $2.50, Villain calls $2.50

Turn - Tx - Now I'm thinking that I could try out this check min-raise to rep a set or the straight because I am positive that my initial read was correct. This has to be an extremely scary card for villain if he does have an overpair so I think I'll try this out. I think I would have to call a push as well considering that I have an OESD with 8 clean outs plus 2 jacks for a total of 10 and only another $5 behind. I wasn't sure how to figure out how often this needs to work in order for it to be +EV.

Hero checks, Villain bets $8, Hero raises $8

Any thoughts on using the min-raise like this to push out hands that beat you?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Using the turn min-raise

If your board is correct you have the straight not a draw. I also don't like min-raising. I think it's a bad play, but I have no info to back that up, it's just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 AM

you already have the straight
Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 AM

Sorry, I mis-typed that board out in the OP, flop was 689r not 789r.

I also had a second similar hand in which I tried this concept again OOP except I planned on repping a set from the start the way I've seen a lot of people play their sets (I normally lead out when I actually have one if there's a high card on the board or it's drawy).

Hero is dealt TT in MP2

Not many reads, villain is 25/15/3 aggro

Hero raises to $1, Villain raises to $3, Hero calls

Flop - 67d9d

Hero checks, Villain bet $3, Hero calls

I find it the most annoying when I am in position and I have someone c/c because I don't know if they're on a draw or have something like TP or better when my agression is usually around 3 - so I thought I'd try that with the intention of c/r a non-diamond turn.

Turn 5x

Hero checks, Villain bets $5, Hero raises $5

Here I'm pretty much trying to rep a set or the straight again, although I think I would fold to a push as I only have 6 outs this time. I didn't really have a plan for the river if villain just called and the river was a brick.

EDIT: I guess I'm basically trying to figure out if I actually have more fold equity with a min-raise against thinking players than I would with a larger standard raise of 3/4 to full pot with minimum risk. I know I seem to be more scared of a min-raise than of a larger raise, or at least it makes the decision a lot tougher for me because it looks like they're trying to keep me in the hand while extracting value. Maybe this is better for the Psychology forum, but that one doesn't seem to get a lot of replies.