Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Robert Jordan died.

Anyone who liked the Jordan books should read the George R.R. Martin series. The first book is good but then the story really takes off afterwards.

What I'm worried about is that Martin has something like THREE books left to write in that series and he ain't gettin' any younger

Also I would recommend Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

EDIT: Oh yeah... Rest in peace, Robert Jordan
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM

I had no idea that Robert Jordan was terminally ill, and when I saw this thread, all I could think was "thank god is wasn't G.R.R.M."

I'm fairly afraid Martin will pass on before finishing Fire & Ice. He has no "notes" or anything to lead a ghost writer if he passes.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Here's what GRRM has to say about Jordan's passing

http://grrm.livejournal.com/
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who?

[/ QUOTE ]

2p2er PITTM

RIP
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

For what it's worth to people. The last book was actually very readable and was clearly going somewhere. That said, the Martin and Goodkind series are overall better IMHO.

C-Dog
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Crap!! I was waiting for the series to end before I picked it up again.

I am struggling with Martins books book 1 really enjoyed but book 2 just havent found as good, plus I do hate reading series that are not completed prefer to read form end to end in one go.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crap!! I was waiting for the series to end before I picked it up again.

I am struggling with Martins books book 1 really enjoyed but book 2 just havent found as good, plus I do hate reading series that are not completed prefer to read form end to end in one go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. Waiting for book 10 to come out in Jordan's series was painful. Waiting for book 11 was even worse.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth to people. The last book was actually very readable and was clearly going somewhere. That said, the Martin and Goodkind series are overall better IMHO.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG the Goodkind series is absolutely horrible do not listen to this guy
Old 09-17-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG the Goodkind series is absolutely horrible do not listen to this guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people I speak to disagree with this. As do the ratings on Amazon, and the sells numbers. While there was one book I didn't like in the series. I liked the rest. But then again you posted on a message board, so your opinion probably means more than the sells or Amazon ratings.

C-Dog
Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if we assume Jordan's motive for stretching the series was purely financial, how does that cause you to "lose all respect" for him? The characters are his, the story is his, the decision is his. If people keep buying the books, why shouldn't he keep writing them? Poker players of all people should understand pushing an edge.

I agree the books became tiresome, but how does that wreck the rest of the series? How does book seven or eight or nine or ten retroactively [censored] on books one through six? It's not like the suck in book ten can reach back in time and take the enjoyment out of book three.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost all respect for him as an author (artist, if you will). It seemed to me that he abandoned his artistic integrity (if he had any) for money. I once read an article where some person had asked him when the series would end and he said something like 'never'. Once I got to the point where the series became terrible I felt like I'd wasted my time reading the first of them even though I'd enjoyed them.

For someone in his field I'd prefer him to be thinking 'how can I make this great?' rather than 'how can I make a dollar?' If it's great it'll make the dollars anyway.

I was one of the ppl who kept buying the books and I became sick of him and them. I can't think of another author in the genre who wrote a series as long and convoluted as his. Even Terry Goodkind (mentioned above) is finishing his 'Sword of Truth' series in the next book. Btw: That series is acceptable, but not great, imo, because Goodkind keeps repeating the same themes.

I'd like to recommend Tad Williams. He writes both fantasy and sci-fi. I'd skip his early work and (for near-future sci-fi) the 'Otherland' series is excellent, his single volume fantasy 'War of the Flowers' is very good and his new series Shadowmarch is shaping up nicely.