Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Default 2-4 bottom set

Sorry this was on bodog and there HHs are a mess.
This was full ring, i think game was 7 handed.

I'm definately a fish in PLO(primarily NLH player) and am trying to learn so any advice on any streets, as basic as it may seem, would be greatly appreciated.

Villain #1 has 400 BB
Villain #2 has 230 BTN
Hero covers SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

**FLOP** (20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, V1 pots it(20), V2 calls, Hero Calls

**TURN** (80) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, V1 pots it(80), V2 shoves for 212 total

..... easy muck?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 2-4 bottom set

The way you played the hand you have absolutely no clue what the other players have. Lead the flop, bet the turn and then make a decision.

As played it looks like there is at least one huge draw out so even if you are best you are probably trying to fade at least 15 and possibly 20+ outs.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Calling bets with bottom set is asking for trouble. If you are going to play bottom set lead flop or raise the bet. With how passive you played the flop, mucking the turn is easy.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Why did you check/call the flop here? In this spot, you have to either lead or check/raise. The board's super coordinated and you have a hand that's very likely to be in front. This is a really bad spot to get cute.

As played, still not sure I muck here though. It seems really unlikely that V1 limped the button with QQ or JJ and those are the only hands beating you right now. Villian 2's probably more likely to have two pair or a combo draw than a set as well. At this point, you should still probably shove your stack in.

Also, how was there $20 in the pot in a 3-way pot in a 2/4 game. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 PM

shove turn think you have the best hand

but most oft the tirm you have many outs against you
Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 AM

[quote
Also, how was there $20 in the pot in a 3-way pot in a 2/4 game. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv there was a couple limpers, i only included the 2 villains stacks
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 AM

So say I pot the flop and V1 repots ,, are you guys trying to get in because of the drawy board and if he has a bigger set then i just stack off 100BB in a limped pot?

So assuming I played it how I did, doesn't V1s hand look alot like a set of JJ or QQ, he was BB btw.(not BTN as some1 had said)
Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling bets with bottom set is asking for trouble. If you are going to play bottom set lead flop or raise the bet. With how passive you played the flop, mucking the turn is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh I know I played this hand badly but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Your saying I should be raising the flop, but since I didn't and I harmless 3 fell off now it's an easy fold when my hand has much better equity vs draws? Can you please explain this logic
Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check/call the flop here? In this spot, you have to either lead or check/raise. The board's super coordinated and you have a hand that's very likely to be in front. This is a really bad spot to get cute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definately wasn't getting cute. I mean is it normal to limp for $4 and then be happy to get it in for 100BB with bottom set(in a 7 handed game) where I'm prob going to be up against a bigger set or a huge draw that isn't that big off a dog? Just seems a little spewy. I'm not disagreeing that my passive flop play leaves me clueless, but I assumed after V2 called and I called, V1 prob isn't going to pot the turn into 2 opponents who called a pot sizeed bet with less than a set. Is this bad thinking?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 AM

It's normal to lead the flop for the size of the pot if you're not planning a check/raise. A lot of the time you'll just get called if you're up against a good draw and a lot of times weak draws will fold.