Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Questions regarding PokerStove

questions on pokerstove:
one, I am using version 1.21. Is this outdated, or still fairly new?

two, when entering players' preflop cards i have noticed a strange pattern. If you use the preflop catagory to select a players hand, it gives a slightly different equity then when you manually select each card seperatly. Points to note here are that this only occurs in the Monte Carlo simulation mode, and the amount of difference gets larger with more players.
ex:AA(selected from preflop tab)vs. 9 random holdings shows an equity of 29.745% after 8 million games(trials)
AcAd(selected manually from the cards tab)vs. the same 9 randoms shows an equity of 31.070% after 8M games.
Also, the amount of difference gets SMALLER as you restrict other players' possible holdings. I moved all players from 100% to 9.8% possible hands.
AA now had an equity of 33.049% while AcAd was closer at 33.771%.
why is this?

Three, can I export my test results from the output box?

Finally, I want to say that I am honestly very impressed with the software. I recently paid over $100 for poker academy 2 pro edition, and pokerstove is as good if not better. I think the following might be an obvious observation, but pot equity(win prob) can not be treated as absolute hand value due to the power of folding and implied odds. Does anyone have advice for a systematic way to add this factor to the equity statistics for each hand? I dont believe any method could be perfect, but I am very curious to hear some ideas.

thanks for the help, James
Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Questions regarding PokerStove

Thanks for highlighting this issue. The monte carlo code recently went through some changes and some bugs may have been introduced. I'll investigate further.

- Andrew