Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Your Opinions About Jim Cramer

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy his self-proclaimed track record.

BTW, if you could do 12-15% per year you could easily be managing $$$ billions.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) You're a fool.
b) It's not self-proclaimed, it was audited by independent accounts and verified by his third party administrator when he ran Cramer Berkowitz.
c) He was running hundreds of millions of dollars. Believe it or not, that was a ton of money 5+ years ago for a single L/S hedge fund.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM

I don't know about all of this, but a buddy of mine watched his show or read on one of his website about google in early 2005. He dropped in 100K to google at $97 a share ( or something like that). Then my friend told me about it and I bought in at $104 a share. I dropped 40k in. Left it in there and sold at $364 a share. Sold it a few months ago so for a year, that was a GREAT turn around. IMHO

Also here lately, I have been following my same buddy in some penny stocks. It's hit or miss but I have done 50k profit in one week. Also, I have loss 30k in one week. Doesn't matter because that's all profit and I took out what I wanted from my "Google money".

google is my 401k - between the stock and adsense money, I love GOOGLE!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No serious investor watches this show unless they are looking for sell signals. He's good entertainment but light on facts - he rarely talks about valuation multiples or insightful industry facts.

Remember the addage - "Those who can, do - those who can't, teach"

[/ QUOTE ]

So you've beaten his audited 30%+ track record? Wow, that's pretty awesome.

"Those who can't teach, criticize."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have dealt with the guy. I would guess, and its only a guess that this is a half truth...maybe a subset of his fund did this and it is audited in such a fashion he can point at it. I always thought he mainly played the new issue game....
Old 04-28-2007, 12:33 AM

He seems like a bright guy, and he has tons of experience in the stock market. His TV show is ENTERTAINMENT though.

I watch his show occasionally, and sometimes if gives me interesting ideas to pursue further on my own. For example he did a segment on First Cash Financial Services once (FCFS) and thoroughly explained what he liked about the company, its valuations, etc.... It made sense to me, so I did my own research and a few weeks later I decided to take a position in the stock. But there are plenty of his "recommendations" that I don't agree with/ don't even bother researching.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Jim Cramer is a genius. But you cannot blindly follow his picks. New investors should use actively managed funds from managers with great track records that beat the market. Cramer throws around alot of ideas that are subpar you've gotta be able to relate his ideas with your knowledge of the market and the opinion of other good analysts (if you don't work on the street).
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No serious investor watches this show unless they are looking for sell signals. He's good entertainment but light on facts - he rarely talks about valuation multiples or insightful industry facts.

Remember the addage - "Those who can, do - those who can't, teach"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. 24% a year. and YOU DO REALIZE he has to put on an entertaining show each night (meaning new ideas, many more new ideas than he'd probably like to, as there are obviously stocks he likes more than others, - ie a top 10) ... Why do you hate on Cramer?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New investors should use actively managed funds from managers with great track records that beat the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little part of me died while reading this.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New investors should use actively managed funds from managers with great track records that beat the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they shouldn't.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A little part of me died while reading this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

granted I doubt there are very many funds that meet this description, but if a company has a long(say 70 year) history of beating the s&p by 1% annually, then it's both believable and worth a lot over time.

My dad initially bought some index when he both retired from Monsanto and sold the farm. Sounded like the smart move to me. Later a broker came to the door and he agreed to listen. The broker showed a conservative fund with low turnover that tried to beat the market by a small %, especially during downturns. It had a long history of doing this well.

Is your objection simply that a new investor will not be able to evaluate a fund effectively, or that this is actually a bad strategy?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Cramer is definitely better than his old running mate Larry Kudlow. Goldilocks Goldilocks Goldilocks