Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Default FTP $10 - JJ on the button

$10 MTT on Full Tilt. One of those new Daily Double Jackpot things. This hand happened a little after the first break. Myself, villian, and 2-3 others had been at table since the beginning. Big stack at table (MP3) had just been moved to this table about 2 hands before, but the 2nd Big stack (BB) had been at table since beginning. The people who had been at the table for a while had been pretty straight forward, VPIP of less than 20%, standard 3-4x raises with there rarely being multiple callers, often just folded, most reraises were seemingly respected, in other words table had been pretty much straight forward tight/aggressive.

I did notice that Villain had put in a raise from this position and from UTG a few times, but he had never been called on it. This particular raise also seemed like an odd sized bet, as like I said most bets had been in the 3-4x BB size.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $80/$160
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2210
UTG+1: $6030
MP1: $4495
MP2: $3835
MP3: $13685
CO: $6485
Hero: $2755
SB: $5302
BB: $11747

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $430</font>, 4 folds, Hero ?,

Each of my thoughts were as follows:

A)Fold - not likely, but did give this a thought. JJ are not great, but I am starting to get below the average chip stack. My M is currently 11, so I'm not eminent danger, but don't want to fall too far behind either. I'll have position on villain and the blinds after flop, assuming it doesn't just get all in pf.

B) Raise- If I raise, how much. If I go 3x his bet, I'm putting 1200 in, which is about 1/2 my stack. He can see flop for 800 more, about 15% of his stack (just roughly rounding numbers). I would be defining my hand, but at a price where if he calls I'm pretty well pot commited (am I right in thinking this?). If I were to re-raise him any bigger, I should probably push?

C) Push - Do I risk the whole enchilada here, as like I said, everyone including Villain has been playing pretty solid, seemingly playing premium hands, defending blinds, etc... I put him on likely having a good hand here coming out of position, possibly QQ+, AXs, AQ+, maybe KQ. Lower pocket pairs are possible though he's facing the entire field, including the Big Stack (MP3), and the 2nd big stack in the BB. If I were to push here, he's got me covered, and he may just look me up, as he would still be above average even if I win. However, Villain had also made this raise 2-3 times before from UTG, so maybe he is just trying to steal blinds. Again the weird bet size comes to mind though this may or may not mean anything.

D) Call - This option would allow me to see how flop comes. If I hit, play it from there. Scary overcards, I can let it go. But if a non-scary board comes (ie. no overcards to my JJ), and he were to c-bet, we'll say 1/2 pot, ~5-600 presuming that the SB and BB fold, now what? A call of this 1/2-pot sized bet would put about 1/3 of my stack in, and I still wouldn't know where I stand (calling=bad). A Reraise by me will again pretty much leave me pot commited, so I'm looking at pushing/folding to any bet by villain post flop. Now, if he checks, and I were to bet 1/2 pot, I'll again have about 1/3 of my stack in the pot, and if he were to c-raises, I'm again facing a 'now what' situation? Another thought about me just calling PF, is that the BB, which has both of us covered, could then be left wide open to push us both right out of the hand.

So, which option do you like/dislike. Also, I have tried to post some of my thought process. Please also let me know how my thought process is for this hand. Is this a simple insta-fold, insta-call, insta-push, and I'm just overthinking this? Is my thought process totally off base?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: FTP $10 - JJ on the button

Push.

A call can be defended if you are a small ball player but I am not so I push everytime and twice on Sundays.

A raise that is not a push is by far the worst of the 4 options.