Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Express lane Discrimination?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here in NY they have debit cards that function as food stamps, it makes things a lot easier.

honestly i think part of the reason they don't change it in other places is to make it as humiliating or as big of a hassle for everyone else as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in NY, middle of Harlem, they always use the paper sheets here?

In regards to other comments, it's not an elitist thing, at least for me, on the books I could probably file for some government assistance, I don't because I don't have children and don't give a rat's tail.

However, I do have a bit of an issue when a woman with six kids, each of whom's sneakers and jacket cost more than all the clothing I have on, holds up my line and gets $500 dollars worth of free food.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but it's the encouragement to breed and hold up my line that aggravates me a little?

[/ QUOTE ]

If she doesn't breed you will not have the 9 children necessary to fill your factories with wage slaves for the next generation, you burgeouis fatcat.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If she doesn't breed you will not have the 9 children necessary to fill your factories with wage slaves for the next generation, you burgeouis fatcat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that's what illegal immigrants were for?

Nah, you guys are right, I was a prick. I'll try and get over it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, [censored] poor people, they've got it so good with their foodstamps and their worn and tattered clothes, now they want to be clogging up my express lane too?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is probably at least a slight correlation between people being poor and screwing up simple things like this. More specifically speaking, it's probably because they suck at life. Since we foot the bill for their suckage in so many other ways, there's nothing wrong with being indignant about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq,

you are wrong, and also dumb if you really think this. 'we' foot the bill for mortgage deductions on rich peoples' houses, defense contracts and social security much more than any public welfare program.

yes, a lot of poor people from the inner city have skill deficits related to their low socioeconomic status. they also face discriminatory treatment from basically every financial market available to them, as well as having to pay more for the same goods that people buy in better neighborhoods even though cost of living and doing business is much higher there. between this, the public school system and welfare, the inner city economy is basically designed to keep poor people poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice post.

its almost mass murder imo. this might sound a bit crazy but im pretty convinced that some cruel things will happen in the us (and prolly most parts of the world with a disproportional powerful upper- or upper middle- class) within the next 50 years.
the consensus as far as i understand in the "my kid can go to college"- class is that the sole goal in life is to become as rich and as apowerful as possible. no matter what you have to do to achieve it. this leads to ignorance and numbness.

people that almost never get in touch with poor people are brainwashed to believe that they steal from them by being lazy and depending on welfare.

this might lead to an attitude which deprives non productive people the right to live. mass concentration camps or real ghettos that deserve the name (as in having a heavy barrier around them and not letting people in or out) are a consequence which isnt too unlikely.

pls dont ban me but from my distant point of view (im in germany) this is where the us is going.

the powerful prolly are too smart to make all this really obvious (concentration camps) but once they have the means to protect themself without risking to ever be overcome by the poor (which will try to start revolt before they die) there is absolutely no incentive to keep welfare going. right now the masses of poor people would just go crazy amd loot the whole country. but once they are totally under control (which will happen in the near future) one way or the other they will be destined to die. just build a huge wall around queensbridge projects and wait till everybody starved and then build some nice office buildings. its so easy. because of the attitude implanted in the wealthy heads the possibility is huge imo that the majority will not really be against this as they see poor people as their enemy and therefore they wont have much of a problem with them dying.

o wow crazy rant. but im really worried about mankinds future. especially when it comes to the evolution of morals and ethics.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In regards to other comments, it's not an elitist thing, at least for me, on the books I could probably file for some government assistance, I don't because I don't have children and don't give a rat's tail.

[/ QUOTE ]

RC,

So you're saying it irritates you that someone is getting a benefit that you aren't, but you're not going to go take it even though you are eligible for it? That doesn't really make any sense.

I don't know why people are still spending stamps in Harlem, I am in Washington Heights and have worked in the Bronx as well, and people usually pay with debit cards here. Weird.

[ QUOTE ]

However, I do have a bit of an issue when a woman with six kids, each of whom's sneakers and jacket cost more than all the clothing I have on, holds up my line and gets $500 dollars worth of free food.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but it's the encouragement to breed and hold up my line that aggravates me a little?

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's break this down. You feel she is spending irresponsibly, so it irritates you? What if it turns out mostor all of those clothes are bootleg, and cost a fraction of the price you assume? What if the child's father, or her current boyfriend, gave them those clothes as gifts instead of buying food or paying bills? Is it still her fault? Is it still irritating?

I'm not saying any of those are the case in one particular instance, but all of those things certainly happen. It's helpful to break down your impressions and assumptions here.

Are you also concerned with the 'incentive to breed' that parents get from something like the Earned Income Tax Credit? If not, why do you think that is?

Here is a link to a food stamp amount calculator for NYC. Play around with it, people are not entitled to as much as you think. For the woman with 5 kids to be getting $500 worth of food stamps in a month, she would have to receive almost no other income (including any public assistance or housing subsidy). It's not realistic. Nobody gets that much.

Think about that. A fairly typical food stamp benefit for a family of that size would be about $320. Do you think feeding six people on $64 a week is really an 'incentive to breed'?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM

Hey Weezy I think it's you start move'n on up
Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here in NY they have debit cards that function as food stamps, it makes things a lot easier.

honestly i think part of the reason they don't change it in other places is to make it as humiliating or as big of a hassle for everyone else as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If she doesn't breed you will not have the 9 children necessary to fill your jails with thugs for the next generation, you burgeouis fatcat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM

I have nothing to add to the current discussion...

My parents owned a little corner grocery store in North Philly. It was a poor neighborhood, and back then there was not debit food stamps (we didn't even take credit cards). There really was no shame in using the food stamps; I understood the need for them.

But there was always a few who abuse the system. One guy would buy 40 cents of candy using a $1 food stamp bill. Then come a little later and do it again. And then again. Then he'd use the change to buy a pack of cigarettes or beer.

There will always be people who abuse the system. But overall, it helps those who need help.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is your cue to move.

Also, hating individuals for just trying to get their family by has gotta be instant damnation (if there is a god).

I'm sure glad you were unbanned to add such insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in downtown portland, poor people should get their poor asses over the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which bridge? Because if you mean I-5 or 205 eff that son. Washington don't want none.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Wow mbillie you are a horrible [censored] poster.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow mbillie you are a horrible [censored] poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white">who the [censored] are you? </font>