Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Pre Poker Tracker Post Poker Tracker

I hope I have the correct forum, if not I apologize.

I have been a long time lurker of this forum. Profitable at stakes of 2NL and below for the last 2 years. I have not had a losing month in that time. I have just recently joined 2+2 and am very grateful for all the knowledge that has been shared. I play and think/read about the game far more than I did at the 50 cent levels and continue to multi-table and beat the game on a consistent basis.

I do not use poker tracker or any other program that keeps my stats. I do save troublesome hands and review them very often learning from my mistakes, making notes in my journal and capitalizing on my opponents errors. I take careful notes on the regs I play and my favourite fish as well.

I have also kept very detailed records in a poker journal that has all my poker purchases, sessions, bankroll data, etc. etc. I am able to classify players very quickly on up to 4 tables and play accordingly against them.

My question:

Have any of you been profitable for a year or more as I have and then purchased Poker Tracker and found it made much of a difference?

Thank you.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Pre Poker Tracker Post Poker Tracker

Haven't played hjat long cash tables, but well worth it no matter who you are.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 AM

What's your ptbb/100 winrate at nl200 (which is what I assume you mean by "2NL")? Oh wait...you might need PT to tell you that...or any countless other things. Seriously, if you are winning at nl200, it's like 1/4 a BI or a few hundred hands to get it...so just get it.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 AM

if you play a lot of hands and want to be a serious student of the game and improve your play poker tracker is very important
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM

I don't have poker tracker and do fine. I track stats/winrate with another spreadsheet-like tool. I'm hoping to get it soon though as it's certainly very good and will improve my game. But you can be a solid winner without PT.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 AM

I can say precisely how much have earned each month for 24 months. I play 20K hands a month. Exactly what will poker tracker add to my game?

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can say precisely how much have earned each month for 24 months. I play 20K hands a month. Exactly what will poker tracker add to my game?

Thanks for the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

pt helps you review your sessions by showing you the biggest pots and look at your game position by position (how many bb/100 from OTB, CO, SB, etc.) and filtering certian type of hands, like soooted connectors to see how you play them and blah blah blah...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

its 50 bucks who cares
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have also kept very detailed records in a poker journal that has all my poker purchases, sessions, bankroll data, etc. etc. I am able to classify players very quickly on up to 4 tables and play accordingly against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can your journals/spreadsheets/notes tell you instantly that this particular villain continuation bets exactly 40% of the time (ie: only with made hands) like PA Hud+PT can? Probably makes any potential floating/stealing situations PRETTY FREAKING EASY, huh? He bet = 2nd pair no good, He checks = 2nd pair is the nuts.

Can your spreadsheet/notes/journal keeps track of how much you win or lose with every type of hand from every position?

If you don't have PT in this environment and you multitable, you are severely hindering yourself. As with any tool, it is what you make of it: used poorly, a hammer can smash your hand.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM

Can your journals/spreadsheets/notes tell you instantly that this particular villain continuation bets exactly 40% of the time (ie: only with made hands) like PA Hud+PT can? Probably makes any potential floating/stealing situations PRETTY FREAKING EASY, huh? He bet = 2nd pair no good, He checks = 2nd pair is the nuts.

Can your spreadsheet/notes/journal keeps track of how much you win or lose with every type of hand from every position?

If you don't have PT in this environment and you multitable, you are severely hindering yourself. As with any tool, it is what you make of it: used poorly, a hammer can smash your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great info! This makes sense.