Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Unit to D\'Backs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the Dbacks have a chance at having an above average rotation

[/ QUOTE ]

with webb and RJ they have a *chance* at having the best in baseball....above aberage should be a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really; they may not even have a top 3 rotatition in the NL West. Peavy/Schmidt/Zito match up just fine with Webb (some are worse, but all have the potential to be almost or just as good). Cain/Lowe/Young look to have the same, if not much better, ERA's than Johnson. Lowry/Hensley/Penny are just as good as Hernandez, with Maddux having the most risk of being worse. Hernandez hasnt had good peripherals since 2004. And the 4/5 dont really matter. Wolf, Billingsley, Davis, Maddux, Morris; all should be decent, with Davis and Bills with the biggest upside.

I dont see the Dbacks dominating even the NL West with their pitching, even though I think RJ will be much better than his 5 ERA last year.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 AM

I don't think people understand just how good Randy Johnson IS.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think people understand just how good Randy Johnson IS.

[/ QUOTE ]

While his walk totals have stayed relatively stable throughout his career his K total dropped enough last year to make a noticeable impact. His 5.00 ERA is mostly due to bad luck, he should really be around 4.00, but there are a lot more pitchers I'd trust over a full season than RJ, who will be 44 by the end of this year.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the Dbacks have a chance at having an above average rotation

[/ QUOTE ]

with webb and RJ they have a *chance* at having the best in baseball....above aberage should be a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really; they may not even have a top 3 rotatition in the NL West. Peavy/Schmidt/Zito match up just fine with Webb (some are worse, but all have the potential to be almost or just as good). Cain/Lowe/Young look to have the same, if not much better, ERA's than Johnson. Lowry/Hensley/Penny are just as good as Hernandez, with Maddux having the most risk of being worse. Hernandez hasnt had good peripherals since 2004. And the 4/5 dont really matter. Wolf, Billingsley, Davis, Maddux, Morris; all should be decent, with Davis and Bills with the biggest upside.

I dont see the Dbacks dominating even the NL West with their pitching, even though I think RJ will be much better than his 5 ERA last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool post and all, but what did i say that you disagreed with?

me: zona *could* have best rotation in baseball (as in they probably wont buts its possible)

they are almost guaranteed to be above average....just having webb alone on the staff basically seals that deal...nevermind a still very good RJ.

you:

heres a breakdown of the NL wests rotations.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is 2/5ths of the games not important anymore?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 AM

sublime,

I'm very curious about how his decline/recovery are gonna play out. Dude is old as hell. That being said.... he's still very good. He's either gonna play till the stone age or fall off the wagon.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you assume the Diamondbacks are twice as bad as the average team (which is obviously not true), they then have a 32:1 shot at winning the NLCS from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

this should really be rephrased as "if they have half the average team's chance..." to avoid confusion. a team that is awful will have to beat the odds to win their division and both playoff series. figuring they're a 2-1 dog in each series, they'd need to win the division 27% of the time to make 32-1 a fair line.

i do want to hit vegas though, after hearing of these lines.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
free up some cash

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 AM

I am seeing a lot of talk on ERA, but you stat gurus know ERA is not a great way to evaluate a pitcher against his peers. IP in a start as well as hits, HR, K, and walks combined really tell how they performed.

For you that feel Randy Johnson makes the Arizona staff a top notch one, where would you rank Randy Johnson in the list of pitchers in the NL? His numbers will improve, well because it is the NL.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't wager my house on a 43 y.o. 'power pitcher' coming off of back surgery. Yes, the Unit used to be very good.