Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Default 10-25 live, flop trips, face 3 bet push

10-25 live, 10 handed

The game is very good. It's very common for several players to see the flop for a raise.

I am UTG+2 with $7K. Villain has me covered, and is a Scandinavian pro in town for a $10K tournament. I have not seen him get out of line.

UTG (very tight, young pro) opens for $75. This is the type of raise which will usually be called in several spots, especially because there is one wealthy fish at the table who is pretty bad.

Anyway, UTG +1 (villain) calls.

I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

A bunch of other people call. 7 people see the flop.

Flop ($525 - 7 players):

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks. Villain bets $500. I make it $2,000. Folded back around to villain, who pushes! It is just over $5K to me.

I am trying to think of what kind of hand he could have here. On the one hand, I wouldn't think 77 would play it this fast. 77 has a flush draw drawing dead and a 3 just about dead. On the other hand, he is out of position and maybe he figures this is the best way to get the money in?

Or maybe we have the same hand?

Otherwise, I guess it is a semi-bluff? The thing is, I have shown massive strength here. He bet into a very large field, and I popped him (with multiple calling stations still to act behind me). Could he really think he has enough fold equity?

I am having a hard time coming up with a hand he would bet like this. We are pretty deep, so I don't think this could be an overpair. 77 or A3 seem most likely. I don't know if he could be in there with 3x having called a PFR UTG+1, even as loose as the rest of the table was. I have not seen him play any trash hands from EP.

Is this an easy call?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 10-25 live, flop trips, face 3 bet push

easy call if ur beat sick cooler
Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Instacall
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instacall

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM

post-oak, i expect more from you
Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM

This is an absolute instacall, but sounds like you got coolered, sorry bud.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM

instacall. if you are beat, just say 'standard.'
Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 PM

hate how you played this on flop, obv call now
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Instacall

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
post-oak, i expect more from you

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

After writing the post, while in the process of proof reading it, I thought of just deleting it. I mean, I couldn't really see many people making the case for a fold.

I am sorry if it was just a waste of time, because I guess it is much too insta-callish to generate much discussion.

Results in white: <font color="white">

The thing is, this hand really had me confused.

I actually thought for about 45-60 seconds before calling. The reason I had to think is because I was trying to put him on a hand he would play like this, and I kept coming back to 77 or A3s.

I considered that there was a small possibility that he was just playing AA really horribly. I also thought it was possible he was semi-bluffing with a hand like 5d 6d, or an ace high flush draw.

I was getting almost 2 to 1, so I had to call given these assumptions, but I really did expect him to show 77 or A3 over half of the time.

He showed Ah Ks and was drawing dead when a brick hit the turn.

This hand reminded me that I have this problem where I am not good at understanding how some other players think. My way of thinking seems to be very left-brained dominant, and I guess that is why I come to some bad conclusions when I consider "what does he think I have, what range does he think I put him on, and why is he playing his hand like this?".

In this case, he said he thought I had an overpair and he was trying to semi-bluff me off of it (he thought he had a lot of fold equity because he was figuring I had something like JJ).

He said he made a bad play, but he would have been fine with it if he had diamonds.

Anyway, this hand really confused me becsause I tried to put him on a range of hands and failed miserably. I know what you guys are gonna say, but this guy was not a fish, although he did play this hand very poorly.

I was assuming, Sklansky style, that this guy would be putting me on a big hand and would need a monster to play a $14K+ pot with me in this particular spot. My line exuded strength, so his line made it seem to me like he had a monster.

UTG said he check folded KK, and I believe him.
</font>