Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Bluff #1 (FR, live, 10-25)

[ QUOTE ]
I'd actually like to talk about the flop action first if I may. I would have preferred a call on the flop for a few reasons. First and foremost is the fact that you described one of your opponents as a station (albeit more so preflop). Needless to say, this greatly reduces your fold equity (I'm sure you know this, just thinking out loud).

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a calling station, but he is not horrible. Most of the people who responded seems to think he is likely to call any river bet with any Ten in his hand. I said he is a station, not the worst player in the history of poker. So while he is a calling station, I thought I had a lot of fold equity here on the flop given that my image was of being tight, and he was caught in the middle. Also, the hands where I described him thinking of calling river bets with middle pair always ended in him folding (after showing), and all occurred against one aggressive player who had over $200K (yes, yellow 20K chips in a 10-25) in front of him. They were going to war because neither would fold preflop. So my description that he is not completely horrible post flop still stands.

[ QUOTE ]

You also have the type of hand that you don't really want to isolate with here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind taking this pot down right here. I also don't mind inflating the pot at this point, since I have a nut draw.

[ QUOTE ]

Add to this the fact that if one of your opponents actually had a big hand, they would likely come back over the top and move you off a good draw when you could have hit for cheap and won a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, and there is always a chance the semi-bluff raise will backfire here.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, as played, I think you have to give up. Your flop raise did get you a free card on the turn (I like the turn check here as your opponents are probably not folding unless they are that special type of horrible player builds a big pot only to fold to a brick on the subsequent street). Once you check the turn though you have to give up on the river barring withheld information, as both players would have to fold more that half the time, and as described, I doubt they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan was to give up completely, until the Queen hit the river. Then I realized that while I missed my straight draw, they couldn't know which straight draw I had. So it was Queen hitting the river (a Seven would have done also) which made me bet. I agree with you that the line would look too fishy if I just bet any river, and I would not have bet if the 9-J draw had not got there.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Bluff #1 (FR, live, 10-25)

[ QUOTE ]

He is a calling station, but he is not horrible. Most of the people who responded seems to think he is likely to call any river bet with any Ten in his hand. I said he is a station, not the worst player in the history of poker. So while he is a calling station, I thought I had a lot of fold equity here on the flop given that my image was of being tight, and he was caught in the middle. Also, the hands where I described him thinking of calling river bets with middle pair always ended in him folding (after showing), and all occurred against one aggressive player who had over $200K (yes, yellow 20K chips in a 10-25) in front of him. They were going to war because neither would fold preflop. So my description that he is not completely horrible post flop still stands.

My plan was to give up completely, until the Queen hit the river. Then I realized that while I missed my straight draw, they couldn't know which straight draw I had. So it was Queen hitting the river (a Seven would have done also) which made me bet. I agree with you that the line would look too fishy if I just bet any river, and I would not have bet if the 9-J draw had not got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. Thank you for responding even after the results post. Like, I said, I'm here trying to learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Without looking like I'm riding the results band wagon here, my initial thought was - is there any other way to play it if you expect to win it?

I think betting the turn sets you up to be blown off the hand with a bunch of outs. And you had to be very close to a psb to take it down on the river. NH.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I think this river bet's good. The flop was rainbow, so when you check the turn, it really looks like a straight draw. And since the straight draw's not that obvious of a scare card, when you bet it hard on the river, it makes it look like you really hit the straight, rather than just that you're trying to bluff at something. It's a close spot, but I think you played it well.

Also, if you have a tilty station complaining about the hand you made him throw away, it might not be a bad idea to show and get him as pissed off at you as he is at the huge stack guy.