Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Did I blow this??? 5-10 live, Wynn

9 players, 5-10 at the Wynn

I have $2800. Villain has about the same.

Villain is very tight. I am viewed as TAG. I think. At this point I had been playing for 25 hours straight so I am not sure.

LAG makes it 30 to go from EP. She comes in for a raise with most hands she plays, which includes a wide range (i.e. she could easily have 9Qs).

There is an EP caller before I make it $180 with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP. I have been repopping the LAG's PFRs with good hands in position (AQo or better, sometimes hands like 99).

Tight Villain on my immediate left makes it $400. This is practically a minraise, but I am fairly certain his range for reraising a reraiser is probably AA or KK. The LAG initial PFRer muddied the waters a bit in my mind, but this guy seemed very tight and also happened to be in the middle of eating a sandwich.

It is folded back to me. I think for maybe 20 seconds (I don't ask how much he has or count my own money) and call.

Flop (2 players, $875):

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead for $600. He has a "WTF" type reaction.

He becomes very animated, says "What'd you flop a set, you have to know I have Aces! I don't even have the ace of diamond though.".

He says, "I'm gonna use one of her [referring to the LAG] moves and show my cards. Let's see what you think of them."

He is making a ridiculous mistake here, because we are not all-in. He saw the LAG show her hand a couple of times on the river when she was contemplating a call. Of course, it was not on the flop, to a non all-in bet.

He opens his cards. I don't look, but I know he has Aces.

He talks for a while, says stuff like "I am either going all-in or folding". And "At this point I have to push or fold". I am not answering any of his questions, or looking at his cards. After a couple of minutes, he folds.

WTF?

Did I blow it by leading here? Was it too transparent? Or is it just a case of not realizing how weak tight my opponent was?

I was trying to play the hand like I would if I had a draw, or an overpair (like say KK). Or a set of course.

In my mind, the PFR by the LAG had muddied the waters a bit (in other words, this was not your standard PFR raise, reraise, reraise where AA was the obvious hand for the last raiser). He looked at it like I had to know he had AA exactly though. Not AKs or anything like that, only AA.

Did I screw this up by not checking the flop?

Part of me felt he had made a horrible blunder in the heat of the moment (by showing his cards), and this saved him by forcing him to fold. But later on he would not agree that showing his cards at that point in the hand was a mistake and that he still had the option of going all-in or folding. In fact, he indicated that he picked up a tell by showing his cards so the move was a good one in his eyes. This is ludicrous, but I guess it means he really did fold because he decided I had a set and he was way behind, and not because he had already exposed him hand with action to follow.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Did I blow this??? 5-10 live, Wynn

tellbox!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM

You blew it. Weak(er) lead or check.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 PM

this is butchered.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 PM

That's hilarious! Showing his cards with money behind. Wow.

It's probably not a mistake. However, I've found that players have to be fairly bad to stack off vs a strong lead into them like this. They've all read Super System, and unless you lead big often and turn over draws, they're scared of a set.

He's just weak tight and knows you know he has AA. You might want to get a little creative in the future. Underbet lead into him if he doesn't know you're any good at poker. He'll put you on a draw and try to protect his hand -- probably put in a huge pot committing raise.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You blew it man.

[/ QUOTE ]

once he shows his cards, he will fold, whether he knows it yet or not.

This guy is going to pot-commit himself, why give him a chance not to?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 PM

lol tellaments
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM

u blew it! check to him