Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Folded bottom set on draw heavy board (live, 10-25 @ Rio)

Full ring, 10-25, Rio during month of WSOP

I have $4700. Villain covers.

I view villain as tight. He did not seem aggressive.

I am normally viewed as tight, but I had recently been caught semi-bluffing so I am not sure of what my image was.

UTG+1 limps. Villian limps UTG+2. Loose Foreign Omaha Player (LOP, on the waiting list for a big 10-25-50 PLO game) limps in MP, Button (who is tight) makes it $125 to go. SB folds and I call in BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. All limpers call.

Flop (5 players, $635):
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead for $600. UTG +1 folds. LOP quickly calls (yes, he is out of turn). He is made to take his money back.

Villain is thinking for nearly 30 seconds before he announces a raise to $1800. LOP now folds.

It is folded back to me. While I am thinking, LOP answers a whispered query from a LP player by saying (too loudly obviously), "Yes, I had a flush draw, what can I do?".

Now I am thinking, what could Villain have limped in EP with, then called a PFR? I really think he has a set here. First of all, I showed a lot of strength by leading into everyone for about a pot sized bet. Then LOP showed strength by quickly calling. Plus, the button (the tight PFRer) was obviously still to act.

I guess he could have a big draw here, but even then he has outs (although I would love to get it in with a set against any draw). I rule out a made straight or a mere overpair. I didn't think he would limp with 67s in EP.

His raise was basically putting me to a decision for my stack and I folded. I never thought I would fold a set on such a draw heavy board, but it all seemed to add up to a fold.

I said I would pay $25 to see his hand, he shook his head "no" and mucked.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Folded bottom set on draw heavy board (live, 10-25 @ Rio)

I don't see myself folding this with so much already in the pot without a REALLY good read and some physical tells to back it up.

Villian never has 67 here?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM

i dunno if i would do it, but i like it
Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM

given your read a fold looks good. not sure if i could do it, but i feel its the right play.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Not just 67 suited. If I had a small flush draw, I'd be trying to drive LOP out. Add all the likely flush draws with other things going on (65 86 89 T9 T8) and you almost have a call. If you offer 25 to see his hand for nothing, why not give up a smidgeon in equity (worst case scenario) to see his cards and gambooool. At least you learn more about his game.

If you can add A5 diamonds to his range then you have to call anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I view villain as tight. He did not seem aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ] The unusual LOP action changes things a little methinks.
[ QUOTE ]
Now I am thinking, what could Villain have limped in EP with, then called a PFR?

[/ QUOTE ]
Likely fiveway action with hardly any chance of being raised again and he can easily have a suited connector.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not just 67 suited. If I had a small flush draw, I'd be trying to drive LOP out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come one. I just bet $600 into 4 people, including the tight preflop raiser. Someone has already called out of turn. Raising with a small flush draw here seems suicidal, and this guy didn't at all seem like the aggressive type. That is what led me to fold. 67s was the only hand I could expect to be ahead of here, and I wasn't even sure if he was capable of limping in EP with that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Add all the likely flush draws with other things going on (65 86 89 T9 T8) and you almost have a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. There was a lot of huge draws out there (flush draw with gutshot, etc.). But remember that another player has already cold called out of turn, and the button is yet to act.

[ QUOTE ]

If you offer 25 to see his hand for nothing, why not give up a smidgeon in equity (worst case scenario) to see his cards and gambooool. At least you learn more about his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking I was probably drawing to one out, and wasn't really in the mood for that kind of gamble!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:03 AM

I had an almost identical hand play out last night in a live game. Home game full of 2ers. Live stradle of 20 was out. One caller before me, I call on button with 66, SB calls, BB calls, stradle checks.

Flop comes Ts 6d 7d. Tight player who is capable of folding leads for 85, straddler raises to 215. Fold to me...I think for a minute and a half, and push for 70 more. He ended up having T6, what I am trying to get at though is that this was not an easy call and the components that formed the dynamic of this hand are much different from yours, i.e-open stradle. However, this player rarely will get out of line, the player betting was a solid player and at worst had TPBK, and he was raised by someone 8 tabling 10-20. I like your fold tho.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:07 AM

Yeah, I should add that the fact he limped in EP was really important to me.

If he was in LP, I can't fold with that flop. I just thought his position, along with all of the other factors (me leading big, the cold caller behind him, the tight PFRer yet to act) added up to him having a set.

I played with him a while longer, and he seemed extremely tight. He did not so much as semi-bluff, which made me feel like I probably made a good fold.

Folding a set on that kind of board seemed a little ridiculous though.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 AM

I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to do it, but this looks good. nh

Quickfetus.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 AM

u have trips