Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Observed hand ($40K pot in 10-25)

To be honest, I did not pay attention to the preflop action (though it was discussed later), so please consider this just a reasonable fascimile of the actual hand. The action on the turn and river is definitely correct, as is the pot size of ~$40K.

The first thing I have to mention is that the standard PFR was $225 (more with limpers) due to one guy who would call these raises with any 2. He said that the hands in Hold 'Em really began on the flop (he was being serious). He also said he lost $200K in that game over the last few months (completely believeable). Anyway, he does not factor much into this hand, but that's why the typical PFR was in the $200-300 range.

The blinds were $10-25.

The action went something like this:
A few folds followed by a PFR to $200. This player just busted out of a $10K buy in event which he traveled to attend (had $22K behind, was rich, but money not from poker, style of play is a good LAG, but probably not a great cash game player). We'll call him tourney player (TP).

Calling station calls, poker pro calls. Poker pro has a bunch of grey $5K chips - $50K+ behind. We'll call him deep stack (DS).

TP was raising before the flop often and had shown trash a couple of times. He was capable of all kinds of bluffs, and also capable of making good folds/reads.

Tourney player had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop ($635):
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PFRer (TP) bets $500. Calling station folds. Deep stack raises to $1.5K. TP reraises to $4K. DS reraises to $11K. TP calls.

Turn (~$23K):
3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

TP says "I'll bet all these green", which was all of the $25 chips he had and amounted to $4.6K. This was a surprisingly small bet. Even more surprisingly, DS went into the tank and then just threw out a grey chip (call).

River ($32K):
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

TP checks. DS goes all-in. TP only has $6K left. He goes into the tank for a long time.

Do you make this call?

I thought he must call (this is before I knew he only had two pair) because of the size of the pot. After I found out what he had (he put his hand face up while still thinking), I still thought he must call. Most of the time he is beat, but the pot is $38K and only $6K to him.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Observed hand ($40K pot in 10-25)

I hate how he played this hand. His re-raise on the flop makes no sense at all if he's not going to push the turn.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate how he played this hand. His re-raise on the flop makes no sense at all if he's not going to push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bizarre hand to say the least.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:09 PM

What were the results???? Did the other player have J-K of hearts?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 PM

I think he has to call. the pot is huge. he also showed weakness on the turn and river. he is most likely beat though. looks like DS has a set (probably 6's), or maybe KhJh.

I agree that TP probably should've either folded to the 4-bet, or pushed the turn. I'd push the turn and pay off a set of 6's.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Who was the DS? Was this during the Borgata ME? Sounds like Artie-short, solidly built mid-30's guy from NYC?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who was the DS? Was this during the Borgata ME? Sounds like Artie-short, solidly built mid-30's guy from NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who he was or where he is from. That description sounds about right, and I got the idea that he was an AC regular (which I am not).

Yes, this was during the Borgata Winter Open.

I'll post results later.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Results

TP made the call after several minutes; no one was gonna call "time". DS just mucked (TP had turned his hand face up while thinking).

I heard second hand that DS later claimed he had been bluffing with a baby flush draw.

I find it interesting that a couple of people have commented that they hate how TP played the hand because he should have pushed the turn. While this is the obvious turn play (assuming you don't push on the flop), I would never have gotten that far in the hand. I would have folded top two before putting in $11K on the flop, but I don't play this deep stacked.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Results

Once TP got to the turn, and it's a blank, I don't see how he can do anything other than move in.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Results

Hey P-O,

Damn. I cannot believe that hand was good. What a bizarre hand. I, too, would've mucked almost certainly when he made it 11K. Even after the turn action, I just assumed DS had a set and correctly ascertained TP's hand. Just goes to show you how a read can make any hand worth any amount in a given situation.

And what a donkey TP was in this hand! How can he justify betting 4K into that pot with what he supposedly feels is the best hand? I think he lucked out here, when DS made the horrible decision to try to bluff an unbluffable player.