Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: amount of cash

While there are several reasons that it might be unwise to carry tens of thousands of dollars in cash, I am reasonably sure you do not violate any law by doing so within the country, including on an airplane.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM

you are only allowed 10k by US customs...they WILL stop you, and detain you...
Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 AM

Read the OP. He's not going through Customs.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are only allowed 10k by US customs...they WILL stop you, and detain you...

[/ QUOTE ]

Additionally to being irrelevant to the OP, this isn't even true. You MAY bring over $10,000 through customs, you just have to declare it.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 AM

this is very easy.
If carrying a large amount of cash ask for a hand search in privet. Explain why you have the cash and all is good.
Allow for extra time for checking in.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sry if this is the wrong forum. I was wondering there is no limit on the amount of cash I can bring through the airport. I live in the US so I dont have to worry about regulations from the border people. I was wondering if they will say anything if I have 40-50 K in my carry on bag. Will they mess with me or say nothing.

Thank You

[/ QUOTE ]

You ask 2 distinctly different questions here. The answer to your first question is that there is no law that limits the amount of cash you can carry within the US. The answer to your second question is that you will likely get some attention if a security guard notices that you are carrying $40-$50K. This money could possibly be seized and confiscated, although it is unlikely. As others have posted, having large amounts of cash alone is not grounds for confiscation, but probable cause can include such things as acting nervously, dogs finding drug residue on some of the $100 bills, telling the officer a story that doesn't completely check out, etc. Bottom line is that yes, you could be in for a major hassle even though there are no laws against carrying that amount of cash. My advice would be to just wire it.

Whatever you do, please do not put $40-$50K in a carry on bag. Carry it on your body.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

OK So is the general Rule if you are carrying a larg amount of Cash just be upfront about it with Security and you won't have a problem?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Cardcounters have had cash seized from them for time immemorial. The Biloxi/New Orleans routes were famous for this. Unless the laws have changed in the last 6 or 7 years it's a real threat. The people found with cash use the same explanation every cop is used to hearing from drug dealers: "It's gambling money". You may have to sue to get it back, which you usually do, but it costs time and money. Around 7 years ago a friend of mine was on a blackjack team and their car had low 6 figures cash in the trunk. They were stopped speeding in a rural area by a local sheriff. They got smart with him when he asked to search their car and asked what his probable cause was. He brought in a drug dog who walked around the car 3 times without incident. The sheriff slapped their trunk, the dog barked, and he said, "There's our probable cause." They spent hours handcuffed at the local jail and went through hoops to get their money back, with about 4 thousand short for "expenses". It's a very real threat although with the recent explosion of poker around the country they may be more lax now. I have no current incidents.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM

There was a pretty well publicized case about a year ago where 3 guys flew to Chicago from Mexico with approx $130K in cash. They rented a van and were driving to another state when a police officer stopped them. The cash was confiscated and kept even though the guys were never convicted of any crime.

The police had some probable cause. Namely that the 3 guys were not US citizens, they had traveled on one way tickets, were carrying a large amount of cash and drug dogs alerted to some of the cash. In addition, the guys were evasive about who had rented the van (this could have been partly due to the fact that they did not speak English). The case went all the way to the Supreme Court, and in the end, the state kept the cash even though they could not prove that any crime had been committed.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I am just going to carry it on me. They dont pat you down when you walk through security. If they say something, I am going to say I am going to vegas, any comments