Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Buy a Macbook?

[ QUOTE ]
I just ordered a macbook - need it now so cant wait for updates (and its rumoured that the upgrade will just be a processor bump - though that is not at all conformed - it may be something more substantial).

Definitely get 2GB of RAM - will make things much more smooth, especially the great features of leopard. As for finding out how do do things on a mac, mainly I have found (from friends who switched) that it was actually very intuitive and even fun to find some of the cool things OSX includes.

I would suggest waiting for the middle of next week as the update should be out then.

Edit: i believe that if you buy one and the upgrade happens in a certain period of time, you can replace the one you bought for the new one for a restocking fee - check this out though if you want to buy now as im not sure re the time scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to hold off for a week or so. I'm still not convinced I can justify to myself buying it, so an extra week won't hurt.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 AM

The macbook updates are now out. Small processor bump, updated santa rosa chipsets and a new GMA X3100 video card - apparently a good improvement over the old one.

More details here.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM

How easy is it to set up Macs to run programs like pokertracker/pokerace and so forth? That is kind of what I am tentative about with an apple.

I am by no means apple literate and I worry that if I got one I would not be able to set it up properly to run all the poker applications. Anybody able to quell that fear?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The macbook updates are now out. Small processor bump, updated santa rosa chipsets and a new GMA X3100 video card - apparently a good improvement over the old one.

More details here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not dedicated, and still not a good enough chipset to put more than 2 GB of ram into them.

I'm very let down by this upgrade.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

More details here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still not dedicated, and still not a good enough chipset to put more than 2 GB of ram into them.

I'm very let down by this upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the chipset has been upgraded and can handle up to 4 GB of ram. Realistically it had to be a tiny upgrade so that the macbook isn't too close to the macbook pro.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How easy is it to set up Macs to run programs like pokertracker/pokerace and so forth? That is kind of what I am tentative about with an apple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I havnt yet used these programs with a mac, but will be doing so soon. Using bootcamp (booting up into windows) it should be exactly the same as doing it on a windows machine. I wouldnt have thought it would be any more difficult using parallels/vmware.

Anyone have direct experience of using poker software on a mac through bootcamp/parallels/vmware?