Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $99.65
HERO: $100
CO: $155.65
Button: $31
SB: $0
BB: $87.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) HERO is UTG+1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls $1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.5)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $2.5</font>, CO calls $2.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $5)</font>, Button folds, BB calls $1.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $7.5)</font>, UTG calls $1.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $9)</font>.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($10.5, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets $7</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $31</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises all-in $97.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG calls all-in $66.15</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.35 returned to HERO.

<font color="white"> </font>

Hi,
Still very much new to the game but enjoying it a lot. There is not much context to give. I was in my first orbit on this hand and had no reads yet. My reasoning for the reraise after the check raise was that:

1) I am almost sure I am currently beat facing a set or hopefully 2 pair,
2) but I was going to have to at least call the check-raise to see the turn.
3) If I did call and made my hand on the turn I might not get paid off.
4) If I didn't make my hand I would have to make a tough decision on the turn as to whether I was pot committed to call off the rest chips to see the river.
5) I thought there might be some fold equity (representing top set or even over-pair + nut flush draw against botton/middle set or two-pair)
6) Gambol Gambol.

All in all, I still feel like it was a borderline play and would like some input. It seems like this is not an uncommon situtation to be in. If someone could point out flaws in my reasoning or suggest alternative ways to play the hand, I would greatly appreciate it.

-warmachine

P.S. First post so be kind on the flames.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Overplayed Aces [?]

Why the small raise preflop?

Don't inlude results...or even what turns/rivers. Just post the HH up to the Heros last decision. That will give you better responses.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Thanks, I edited out the turn and river.

Also, the mini-bet is retarded. I guess I was hoping to get repopped (I had been playing a lot of min-buy-in short stack rolfing). May have just been a clicky mistake, too.

-warmachine
Old 07-26-2007, 12:20 AM

Hand Pot equity Wins Ties
Ad3dAs4c 38.83% 232,190 1,625
33** 61.17% 366,185 1,625

Hand Pot equity Wins Ties
Ad3dAs4c 48.44% 289,866 1,591
Q6** 51.56% 308,543 1,591

i think basically you have to fold there
probably you would have some EV but it not so much
its kinda coinflip
gotta just call there to c/f river depending of his action, if i play this hand at all

also i think fold equity there very low
but gambool gambool factor is really ownz [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 AM

You're forgetting about the possibility that UTG has a big draw like 4567 suited in diamonds.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 AM

so maybe its just call because of our position?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 AM

When you're ahead, calling and folding the turn is the worst line.

When you're behind, calling and folding the turn is the worst line.

Villain only slows down and checks it down if you're ahead.

If you think you have close to the 44% equity against his range you need then you should push (I agree that your fold equity against most players is rather small here, but I don't think it's zero).

It's a push unless you have a read that tells you he almost never has anything but QQ here.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 AM

Easy shove (even if your opponent calls 100% of the time). If you call, you're in the really ugly position of facing one PSB on the turn.

If he has a set, you aren't getting your money in very bad, and if he has 2 pair, KK w/fd, a wrap/fd, you're getting your money in very good. The biggest advantage of shoving over calling is that you're guaranteed to win full stacks every time you make the best hand. If the board pairs on the turn, he may have just reduced you to 2 outs, but he may also bluff you out when YOU just made a better 2-pair (and either way, you don't get your chance at a 2-outer on the river). If a diamond peels, he may check-fold, which is an awful result for you compared to shoving.

With much deeper stacks, I just call, but with one PSB left, a strong drawing hand is always better served by stuffing the flop.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 AM

This hand definitely would have played easier if you potted it preflop and on the flop but that may be somewhat results-oriented. As played, pushing's the right move. You've got 11 nut outs against top set and there's always the chance that you're way ahead against a big draw here.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the input, very helpful. Thanks for the equity stats Alavet.

My reasoning was pretty much along the lines of Silent and Tom.

The PFR was a clear mistake. I was hoping with the discounted flop bet to get a few callers, maybe with a lower flush draw or overpair or who knows what. It was meant to be a weak looking cbet. Both of these bets together did create the borderline situation of having to reraise all in on the flop. It seems like all the money would have gone in anyways (right?) had I max betted PF and on the flop.

-warmachine