Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Default I don\'t know how to play omaha, but i have a house....25/25 NO LIMIT

So the 25/50/100 nl game we are playing in nyc breaks down and only three people are left and one of the guys has to go to the airport in an hour so he asks to play plo. I have a huge stack so I say ok let's only play with 10k each he says 15k so we agree. The third player had a clue, I didn't have a clue and the other guy (who proposed the game) had only ever played omaha online once or twice in a 6 dollar tourney and had watched it a bunch online. He was the reason I played despite my lack of experience in omaha (I have very limited experience watching/playing), but the guy's stats in 6max online when he plays are 55/22/1 (for no limit) and he's about that live full ring.

The other guy is pretty solid. We agree that we are going to play 25/25 NO limit omaha each starting with 15k. Now, I knew I didn't know how to play omaha, but I'm like, this is only going to be for an hour, how much can I lose, HE has no clue how to play, let's gamble.

I look down at Ah2h10s9s. I raise to 100 on button. SB (who is the loose/passive player in nl reraises to 300 pre). He has 12 to start the hand.

Other guy cold calls, I call the 200 more with my junk hand.

Flop comes out K22 no color. Guy after reraising pre checks (wtf?). Other guy chks I have trips aces kicker so I bet 400. SB (reraiser) chk calls the flop, other guy folds.

At this point I have no idea what he has. Maybe a random 2, maybe AK, maybe AA, I have no clue. Turn comes a 9, housing me. He donks 1k. What do you guys do here? I mean, what is his range, and what is the proper action?

I decide to raise to 3k total. Is this a massive error? I figure he will pay off with just about anything here.

Now this is when I want to vomit. He makes it 4k more leaving himself 4k behind.

What is your action, what do you put him on, and why?

Thanks, sorry I usually post on HSNL but this was an omaha hand.

dlpnyc21
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know how to play omaha, but i have a house....25/25 NO LIM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise to 100 on button. SB (who is the loose/passive player in nl reraises to 300 pre). He has 12 to start the hand.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Flop comes out K22 no color. Guy after reraising pre checks (wtf?). Other guy chks I have trips aces kicker so I bet 400. SB (reraiser) chk calls the flop,

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
He donks 1k.

[/ QUOTE ]

ruh-roh
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know how to play omaha, but i have a house....25/25 NO LIMIT

Alarm bells should be going off on the flop. I don't fold the turn because this is a credible bluff, but I certainly don't raise. Flopped kings full is my first thought when villain 3bets OOP then checkcalls that flop. The problem comes on the river when villain likely shoves the river, and you have a similar river decision; this is why NLO is a sick game.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM

He has KK.

I'd probably not raise the turn unless you really think he's calling down with a pretty wide range or still in HE mode and thinks AA/AK will be good.

I would've bet more like 600-700 on the flop too. Not a big deal.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has KK.

I'd probably not raise the turn unless you really think he's calling down with a pretty wide range or still in HE mode and thinks AA/AK will be good.

I would've bet more like 600-700 on the flop too. Not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are open folding to his turn bet with a house?

also, aren't i missing out on a TON of value by not raising turn? He will pay off 100% with any 2, AK, or AA.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM

You're not happy with the value you're getting already?

I'm not saying that villain wouldn't take this line with AK or AA, it's just that this line reeks of KK. Sure, he's paying you off with AK and AA, but that's not the point - given how he played the flop, he's significantly less likely to have those two hands.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not happy with the value you're getting already?

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement does not apply. Either a raise is +ev or it is not. In this case he is very likely to be slowplaying KK. I would call the turn and re-evaluate on the river.

P.S. I'm probably not calling more than 1/2 pot on the river.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM

lol. raising this turn is really really really really bad. i would probably call the turn bet and reevaluate on the river. as played i cannot get my cards into the muck faster.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM

yeah raising the turn is terrible here, call and probably fold to a big river bet
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, aren't i missing out on a TON of value by not raising turn? He will pay off 100% with any 2, AK, or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really are justified in thinking this then the raise is OK, but borderline given the action. Somehow I doubt that anyone who plays with 15K in front of him is that clueless about poker, but it's your read.