Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Re: PSA: Walking out of Costco/Sam\'s

The policy for checking your receipt is on the last page of the PDF http://www.costco.com/Images/Content...Brochure05.pdf

I just bought a 1k item off the costco website and had the option to pay a 5% charge as a nonmember or pay $50 to become a member. At no time did I even have the option of reviewing these terms nor did I have to digitally sign anything.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weird, I'm reading the same thread on that site now. I also saw that while you can get away with this stuff at places like WalMart and Bestbuy, they can yank your membership at Costco and Sam's Club because you've agreed to the searches when you signed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

How are they going to yank your membership? How do they know who you are? Don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

video security... it's really a question of if they care enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think they have a clear, close up shot of your face that they can match to the database of customers? And you really think someone would do that by hand?

I'm sure if anything, they could use the video to see what register you took and at least at Sam's Club you have to swipe your card to buy crap.

The problem is that if this guy called Loss Prevention, they would just stare at him and be like "do you really think we care?" and then go about their actual business. There are far more important things they can be doing with their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just saying match it up to the register he bought it on when he swiped his card. it would be very easy. Again, they don't care enough.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Video of a semi-successful attempt.
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]

That site is gold
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never, ever been challenged on it. Literally I'd say hundreds of visits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you're a douche then? Why not just show the you're reciept, is it really too much to ask?

I'm not talking about the times where you go and buy a pack of steaks and theres a line of 10 people with stacked carts waiting to get out, go ahead and bail, I've certainly skipped getting my stuff checked in situations like that, but wtf is your problem that you think you're better than everyone else and above their rules, however petty and pointless you think they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have purchased items from the store, they are your property. Your business with the store is done. What right does the store then have to make you line up waste your time before they permit you to leave the premises? Answer: none. If you don't want to follow their "rules", there's nothing legally that they can do about it.

It amazes me how quickly people turn into sheep in such situations. Anyone who doesn't conform is labelled a "trouble-maker" and accused of thinking he is "better than everyone else", when all these people are doing is asserting their rights as citizens of a "free country".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they can't legally stop you but you're still a dick if you just walk right past the guy if there is no line and you've got a shopping cart full of stuff.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theoretical; you're shoplifting and a Target security guard tries to stop you. What can he do if you just keep walking (imagine he = 5'5", 120lbs, you = big mofo)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He can use any reasonable force to arrest you. Tackle you, beat the crap out of you if you start fighting with him, etc. In reality, after you reach a certain point (usually out of the parking lot) they just let you go because if you get hurt while they are chasing you, they are liable for it. So at that point they just call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy in my fraternity was a front door securtiy guard for Target. He was trained to NEVER follow anyone once they pass the front door; it's part of their insurance policy. Most stores follow this rule per their insurance agreement.

BTW: you don't need to be a member to purchase alcohol at Sam's Club or Costco. Just an FYI for cheap booze.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Sponger,

If there's no line I have no problem stopping. If it's going to be inconventient for me though then screw it. Today at walmart there was a line and my girlfriend and I were balancing a large bookshef on the cart. Stopping would have been a huge pain.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the biggest douche ever. I hope he plays his mind games with the wrong person one day.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the biggest douche ever. I hope he plays his mind games with the wrong person one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to stab that moron in his poo hole. WTF?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never, ever been challenged on it. Literally I'd say hundreds of visits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you're a douche then? Why not just show the you're reciept, is it really too much to ask?

I'm not talking about the times where you go and buy a pack of steaks and theres a line of 10 people with stacked carts waiting to get out, go ahead and bail, I've certainly skipped getting my stuff checked in situations like that, but wtf is your problem that you think you're better than everyone else and above their rules, however petty and pointless you think they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you have purchased items from the store, they are your property. Your business with the store is done. What right does the store then have to make you line up waste your time before they permit you to leave the premises? Answer: none. If you don't want to follow their "rules", there's nothing legally that they can do about it.

It amazes me how quickly people turn into sheep in such situations. Anyone who doesn't conform is labelled a "trouble-maker" and accused of thinking he is "better than everyone else", when all these people are doing is asserting their rights as citizens of a "free country".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they can't legally stop you but you're still a dick if you just walk right past the guy if there is no line and you've got a shopping cart full of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. I've never just walked past the guy. I only shop at non-peak hours, so there's never much of a line-up on the way out. It's easier (and less stressful) to play by the rules rather than to try to dodge the receipt-checker.

My previous diatribe is more applicable to times when the store is busy and there's a line-up to get out. Once you've purchased the items, they're your property -- the store has no right to prevent you from leaving the store at this point.

I've never actually tried to dodge the receipt-checker, btw...I'm just saying that I would never condemn someone who does.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(Note: This is not legal advice, and if you end up in prison doing this, don't blame me.)

When you go to Costco or Sam's or wherever, when you leave, they usually ask to look at your receipt and make sure you're not stealing anything. I've heard second-hand through a practicing criminal attorney that you can basically just blow them off and walk out and they can't do anything. Now, I wouldn't recommend doing that all the time, but when there's a big slow line, it saves some time.

Hope this makes your holiday shopping just a little bit easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shopkeeper's privilege depends entirely on your state. While this may be true in one state, it is not true in all.