Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: film: 3:10 to Yuma

[ QUOTE ]
ya its a watchable movie just like i said i thought its more a mindless action flick than it is a good western.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you CDS. this movie is a great example why i dont trust movie reviews at all. movie tried to be gritty and moving like unforgiven and action packed and over the top like quick and the dead. the combo made for a very tough movie to watch imo.
also, people randomly laughing during serious moments like happened in my screening generally is not the sign of a good movie.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw it and thought overall it was a bland tedious action flick that just happened to take place in the Wild West.

Both actors are decent and the supporting characters are solid but thought the story was dull, contrived, and predictable...Crowe's character was laughably lame at times. Some scenes made no sense to me, ending made me roll my eyes.

Didn't think much of the directing/cine...basically non stop tight shots.

Hopefully Assasination of Jesse James will be much better...at the very least the directing will be better.

Thumbs down but worth seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

CDS-

this seems like a good review (i have yet to see) but before i take this seriously i have to ask if you are the guy who gave two thumbs up to running scared. i think you are, but i dont remember perfectly.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM

the more i think about this movie the more pissed i get. it seriously insults the viewer's intelligence with its nonsensical ending. what a letdown.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saw it and thought overall it was a bland tedious action flick that just happened to take place in the Wild West.

Both actors are decent and the supporting characters are solid but thought the story was dull, contrived, and predictable...Crowe's character was laughably lame at times. Some scenes made no sense to me, ending made me roll my eyes.

Didn't think much of the directing/cine...basically non stop tight shots.

Hopefully Assasination of Jesse James will be much better...at the very least the directing will be better.

Thumbs down but worth seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

CDS-

this seems like a good review (i have yet to see) but before i take this seriously i have to ask if you are the guy who gave two thumbs up to running scared. i think you are, but i dont remember perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya...we had a whole back and forth over that, i was drunk for most of it.
I've seen it two more times and in reviewing the film a second time..i realized I just liked several sequences and two specific characters a lot, pedo scene etc(mainly in terms of how they were shot and set design) and overall as a whole the movie wasn't all that good but the camera work was interesting at times.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 AM

the ending made sense. crowe's confession in the train station (about what he's done twice before) makes it clear he's not at all concerned about getting on the train.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the ending made sense. crowe's confession in the train station (about what he's done twice before) makes it clear he's not at all concerned about getting on the train.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't explain all the other non-sensical stuff mentioned before, as well as <font color="white"> why in the world he would kill all his buddies that came to save his ass </font>

Took my wife to see it and she thought it was good. As soon as we got home I took out my Unforgiven DVD and forced her to watch it. She got my point.

Tuco.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 AM

the pedo scene in RS was like the most disturbing thing ever.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 AM

Its tech not bad if u just want to see a hollywood action flick with two major stars that happens to be set during the wild west. but short of that its not a very good western or an even action movie either to be honest.

the only thing that really keeps it afloat is the fact the two leads are played by Crowe and Bale. I've seen Foster play that role so many times before it doesn't strike me as all that amazing.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 AM

CDS,

Valid points. Those also made me a bit angry, but I quickly forgot about them. It pissed me off that <font color="white">the villains were all standing in the middle of the road and none of the guys just started picking them off. That was probably the worst part of the movie. Also, when they said they'd give the townspeople $200 each, the good guys should've just said, "We'll give you $400 to shoot the bad guys!"</font> I still liked it. And I agree that it's not so much a western, but an action flick with a western setting.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 AM

Ya its worth seeing..just annoys me that you get Bale and Crowe in the same movie and in whats supposed to be a western...and this is what u end up with.

Westerns should be epic...not just a meh action flick