Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: indiematty
10 5 41.67%
9 1 8.33%
8 3 25.00%
7 0 0%
6 1 8.33%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: How big of a d-bag is this guy?

[ QUOTE ]
What if the guy picked up his chips and then decided to be a nice guy and just check the nuts on the river?
This happens too of course.
He sees that the guy is going to call so he changes his mind and checks (or just puts his chips back on his stack).

[/ QUOTE ]

There wouldn't need to be a floor called.

[ QUOTE ]
OP not putting his chips out there before tabling his hand unnecessarily caused this silly situation.
Just bet the chips already. Placing them back down in your stack isn't what most people do when they are betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Often when I am called to the table there will have been multiple opportunities for someone to have prevented the mess I have to straighten out.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I flop a set, we're HU.
River comes, I quad up
he checks, I pick up four chips to bet, he beats me in to the pot, I put my chips back down on my stack, table my hand.

His bet gets pushed in to the pot, I stack, next hand he demands his bet back because I never bet, floor(new floor, clueless obviously) says yeah he gets it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't answer your poll because you didn't provide the option that I would pick. He's not a D-bag.

Now, I really can't understand why you decided not to make money on your quads, but that doesn't necessarily make you a D-bag, either. But it's clear that you're no rocket scientist.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM

The obvious answer is to 'check'-raise the river.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I flop a set, we're HU.
River comes, I quad up
he checks, I pick up four chips to bet, he beats me in to the pot, I put my chips back down on my stack, table my hand.

His bet gets pushed in to the pot, I stack, next hand he demands his bet back because I never bet, floor(new floor, clueless obviously) says yeah he gets it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to take a different approach from the others here - your a polltard. Polltards suck.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM

We need to look at the other player's action. He threw his chips in the pot. He was either shooting an angle (trying to get the other guy to check) or accepted the other guy's action as a bet.

It doesn't matter what the 2nd players intent was. If OP made no forward motion, he did not bet, and thus the 2nd player acted out of turn. Out of turn actions are not binding.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We need to look at the other player's action. He threw his chips in the pot. He was either shooting an angle (trying to get the other guy to check) or accepted the other guy's action as a bet.

It doesn't matter what the 2nd players intent was. If OP made no forward motion, he did not bet, and thus the 2nd player acted out of turn. Out of turn actions are not binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most rooms, out of turn actions can be binding. I think it's clear here that, if OP had bet, villain would have been bound to leave those chips in the pot as a call. He couldn't say "Oh, now that he's actually bet, I fold" and take those chips back.

That said, I think the right ruling is that this out of turn action wasn't binding, because OP never bet and therefore villain never had a turn in which to act.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you are plain wrong. He indicated he wanted to bet by picking up his chips. His opponent and the dealer understood it to be a bet. When a player makes a motion with his chips it is binding if another player reacts to it. Anyone that would rule this hand any other way just doesn't understand how to make decisions in these spots.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you are plain wrong. He indicated he wanted to bet by picking up his chips. His opponent and the dealer understood it to be a bet. When a player makes a motion with his chips it is binding if another player reacts to it. Anyone that would rule this hand any other way just doesn't understand how to make decisions in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this statement you are opening this up to much bigger problems. For instance, in No limit, Player A (trying to get a read on player B) Picks up a stack of about 15 chips (never intending to bet, doing the same thing as OP Said he did, just picking up his chips.) Player B Throws in a stack of chips beating player A into the pot as above. No forward motion from player A just like the OP Said... Floor!

Exact same situation, gonna make the same call here?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

seriously.
I can basically make it so the other guy has actually bet if he just handles his chips without betting them?
That seems ridiculous and carrying things WAY too far.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With this statement you are opening this up to much bigger problems. For instance, in No limit, Player A (trying to get a read on player B) Picks up a stack of about 15 chips (never intending to bet, doing the same thing as OP Said he did, just picking up his chips.) Player B Throws in a stack of chips beating player A into the pot as above. No forward motion from player A just like the OP Said... Floor!

Exact same situation, gonna make the same call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't at all the same because NL and limit have completely different betting rules.