Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

looked like a pretty obvious elbow by Rob Niedermayer right before the goal - tough break there for the Canucks. They just do not have an offense to speak of.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looked like a pretty obvious elbow by Rob Niedermayer right before the goal - tough break there for the Canucks. They just do not have an offense to speak of.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough call there. The Canucks player is sort of falling into Rob's check, making a legit check into a elbow. Whatever happened, Luongo arguing the call as the puck flies in the net is a terrible end to one of the more spectuacular goalie performances I have ever seen.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM

Yeah, even as a Canucks fan I cant say that was a blown call. However, crap like that not getting called just irritates everyone because of all the ghost calls that get called nowadays.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Legit checks don't have one elbow flying outward into someone's head. Again, it doesn't matter where the other person on the ice is... you have to have control of your body and stick. Notice how you can get a high-sticking penalty if you clip someone when their head is like a foot off the ice?

Not that it would have changed anything. Ducks were obv the superior team.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough call there. The Canucks player is sort of falling into Rob's check, making a legit check into a elbow. Whatever happened, Luongo arguing the call as the puck flies in the net is a terrible end to one of the more spectuacular goalie performances I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that Niedermayer was skating with his elbow out and he initiated the contact. it's a very clear elbow and a penalty - but luongo never should've argued, arguing does nothing - it amazes me how these pro atheletes don't recognize this.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except that Niedermayer was skating with his elbow out and he initiated the contact. it's a very clear elbow and a penalty - but luongo never should've argued, arguing does nothing - it amazes me how these pro atheletes don't recognize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a pretty natural reaction. He lost focus for < 5 seconds, and it cost them the game. That sucks, but Luongo is hardly the one to blame here.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Canucks player had his head down, end of story. If he has his head up Special Nieds lays his body into him.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 PM

FWIW, the Canucks coach has come out and said it was a legit check.

This is the only video of the hit I've seen. This angle only shows the elbow going out after the hit. The initial contact looks like upper arm to shoulder. The play looks mostly like a guy skating with his head much too low. Maybe the other angle shows the elbow sticking out more.

http://www.nhlcanucks.com/video/elbow.mpg
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 PM

i just thought id check in to say INNNNNNNNNNNNNN YOU FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE greasy canucks fans. what a way to blow it for luongo after playing almost a perfect game. "hey, ref! that should be elbowing! did you see--oh [censored] i just lost the season." lolllllllllllll innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn you faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM

after seeing it again it looks more legitimate - niedermayer didn't stick his elbow out, that's for sure. it's close and certainly looked worse on first inspection than it was.

also good news for the sharks: bill guerin might be out for game 5.