Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Questionable All-In with QJ

More from my tournament this morning. Full Tilt, $5 + 0.50. I have been at this table for about 10 hands. Blinds are 25/50. The previous hand I raised PF, got a call and an all-in and folded. MP1 was the caller in the previous hand - he called the all-in bet and lost most of his stack. After the fact, I think I should have shoved PF. I'd like comments on that and the decision to call or fold as played. Comments?

EDIT: Didn't notice that stack sizes weren't converted. Hero is 685, MP1 is 796.

Full Tilt (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises 796 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero ???.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Questionable All-In with QJ

Need to invest 596; if you win you get 1667 back ==&gt; you need 36% equity against his range to call.
I think he's shoving pretty wide here &amp; make the call
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM

You should really use the converter for stack sizes, etc.

anyway... I don't like the raise utg with QJ... it's too early to be dicking around with mediocre hands in early position. As played, I think you should fold too.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the comments - I added the stack sizes manually. Is there a better converter I should be using?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 AM

at a full table this is a fold preflop - you still have 13BB so not desperate.

as played it's an easy call with pot odds of 1:3
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM

Okay, two points now:
(1) You should definitely call the shove. You're investing 485 for a chance to win 1445 -- you only have to win 33% of the time. And QJs wins more than that even against 99+,AK, and his range is soo much wider.
(2) This is very similar to the ATo hand posted. You made a raise which pretty much commits all you're chips because (as point (1)) you should be calling shoves. And you should not be committing ~14BBs with QJs or ATo in EP. It's -EV. Number one choice is to fold QJs UTG. I don't mind playing it deep stacked &amp; I dont mind shoving for 7BBs with it, but raise/call or shoving is just -EV with 14BBs. Second choice, if you are going to play a hand in this spot, you should probably be raising to ~130 so you have "flexibility" against a shove.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 AM

What the hell is this?

Barry
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM

ahhh...just push it first and you avoid this situation...first of if you are raising makie it 150..second you are two short to raise...UTG this is just an open fold unl;ess tabe is tight...when you are this short you want to pick spots in position and push to exert max pressure...you can steal the blinds to get some breathing room...QJ suited is weak but UTG it is suicide with your stack
Old 10-31-2007, 11:19 AM

Benfer -

I'm not sure how long you have been playing, so forgive me if this advice seems too fundamental. However, if seems you should be more selective of your starting ands, as well as the importance of position.

While some hands play well in any position (AA/KK/AK), marginal hands (such as AT, AJ, KJ, KT, QJ, JT, T9, etc) should be avoided in EP. While they seem "pretty", espeically if suited, they are usually nothing but trouble for the beginnner. The players behind you may get hands that dominate you, or pick up that you are raising/limping with weak cards.

While it may seem frustrating to fold, fold, fold, so many hands, being more selective will greatly increase your ability to earn money over the long term.

Only after you gain experience, and confidence in your reads on other players, should you make plays by exploiting a tight table image. And only after you are able to calculate your pots odds based upon the flop, stack sizes, and a read of your opponents.

HTH, Rod
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. As posted in my AT thread, I normally would have dumped this hand, but I've been trying to be a bit more aggressive - it looks like I need to pick my spots better.

My thinking on the raise was that I needed to make some moves before too long to pick up chips. I thought the chances of picking up the blinds were good, and if I got any calls I would push the flop if I caught a good draw, or dump the hand if I didn't.