Default Re: Australian Elections Results

[ QUOTE ]
ST,

Nice post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm. pretty sure min wage isn't $13. I get $10 per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been way above $10 for a long time. It's currently $13.46 according to Wikipedia and the article below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage#Australia
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/26/business/pay.php

The Queensland minimum is slightly higher at $528/week:

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/awardsonline/qmw.html

This kind of [censored] (along with all the other massive entitlements) will harm the economy over time. We just can't compete in many industries at these rates. My father runs a business (makes a consumer product) and put the price up 50c to cover these increases. That translates to around 65c on Woolworths shelves where the product is sold. He is also now less competitive in export markets. Welcome to inflation, [censored].

This is why I think Australians who voted Labour are a bunch of whiny [censored]. You've got the best IR laws in the world but you won't give the tiniest bit back to allow employers to make executive decisions and cull extra staff and worthless employees. Instead you want a brain dead mediocrity where unproductive and useless employees are protected, and you're too stupid to understand that it's productivity that drives real earnings in the long run. Well, rot in hell, bitches. I'll enjoy collecting the money off your high interest loans and the higher prices you pay on supermarket shelves.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Latest update the government has fallen, the opposition takes power (unofficial result endorsed by a few candidates of each party).

I am cracking a bottle of Champagne right now. The liar prime minister hasn't outlived his lies (and might still loose his seat although unlikely, but still a slap in the face swingers from his own constituency). I hope the US gives a similar result in its presidential elections. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ] Wish I had Champagne and folks to share it with. Right now I'm cracking a bottle of Jim Beam by myself. Interesting how so many elections have been anti-U.S. policy lately, except, strangly enough, France.

[/ QUOTE ]

My two cents. One should check which countries turned left (= almost all those which have strongly supported Bush's policy). In those countries which have refused Bush's policy other issues prevail over war / moral issues. I'm sure some posters will find some exceptions, but those should check a general situation worldwide first. Hopefully most people reject wars / terror / double standards; it's quite easy to predict a continuation of turning left in many countries or US closest allies in case of war against Iran. Cheers mates.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:46 PM

My answer to that Scary is it's a lot easier to obtain an 80k job to start with given the education system in Australia

Example: a friend of mine was pretty much broke coming out of high school. His parents did not (could not?) financially help him

He got a degree at one of the best Universities in Australia. The government gave him a weekly allowance so a job was not necessary (which I would assume makes it easier to get better grades at Uni). He doesn't have to pay back the government for the Uni fees until he earns above a certain amount per year (don't know specific numbers). All he had to do was do well enough in high school to get in

From what I experienced in America, it's a lot more difficult for a broke guy coming out of high school to get a degree from a really good uni if he has grades just enough to get in (but not get academic scholarships)

But yeah, in Australia it will take like 30% longer or whatev for the 80k guy to catch up to the 40k. He gets there eventually :/
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead you want a brain dead mediocrity where unproductive and useless employees are protected, and you're too stupid to understand that it's productivity that drives real earnings in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still curious what your thinking. Have we not had free health care, free education, and a high minimum wage for a while now? We've been doing ok the past several decades imo
Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 PM

^^ just realised you weren't badmouthing free health care and education, ignore those two
Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Tiger,

Graded tax systems invalidate much of your point. For example, Australians pay nothing on the first $6K and then a small percentage up to $35K.

And I'm pretty sure the mobility effects of equal, free access to higher education and living assistance would outweigh the small effect that remains.

-- HP - I'll respond later.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Graded tax systems magnify much of your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now in 90% Taxland, the 80,000 guy pays full taxes on the top 45,000 of his salary and we'll go with 0% on the first 35,000. The 40,000 guy pays only on the top 5,000.

In 90% Taxland:

After Year 1 39,500 135,500
After Year 2 79,000 171,000
After Year 3 118,500 206,500
After Year 4 158,000 242,000
After Year 5 197,500 277,500
After Year 10 395,000 455,000
After Year 20 790,000 810,000
After Year 23 908,500 916,500
After Year 24 948,000 952,000
After Year 25 987,500 987,500

Ok, I was wrong, it didn't magnify it, but it had no effect.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm. pretty sure min wage isn't $13. I get $10 per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a waiter or some other kind of employee that gets tips? In the US the minimum wage is often lower for service staff who customarily receive gratuities from customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get any tips. I make pizza's. Maybe now labour won I'll get a pay rise!