Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Rick, how much coffee are you making at a time?

If you only drink a cup or so at a time, the Aeropress is great and it works fine with crappy grinds (i.e. blade grinder). It is a lot less hassle and cleanup than a moka pot in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this a few days ago and so far I think it's great.

- Easy and even fun to use.

- Makes very good coffee (I add the hot water to make Americano). I won't over drink since I can make the right amount for one morning.

- Easy to clean.

- Cheap ($30)

- To get it a local B&M store found a nearby place that roasts its own beans. Bought a 1/4 pound for $3 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm still using it after a year I really owe you.

~ Rick
Old 11-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Help me find more local coffee roasters!

I bought my $30 Aeropress at Polly's Gourmet Coffee on 2nd St. in East Long Beach along with a small $3 batch of on-site roasted beans. The beans and Aeropress are great; I'd recommend Polly's knowing many poker players live in the area (ones who are obviously robusto).

Because Polly's is a bit out of the way for downscale/near busto me I'm looking for more stores that brew their own beans on-site near where I live or go. So far I can't find an online directory or the ones I have found don't include good information.

So...

...if there is a good online directory to coffee roasters with in store pickup please post a link.

...if you know of any good roasters near or in the northern part of Orange County, California or near the cities/town of Brea, Fullerton, Orange, Cerritos, Manhattan/Hermosa Beach, Seal Beach, etc. please let me know.

~ Rick

PS I tried the yellow pages, Google, etc and got nowhere.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Help me find more local coffee roasters!

All the coffee gadgets and such are nice, but i need to know how many cups a day are you people drinking and when does it become unhealthy. this thread has word addict in it so I'm sure its more then 1 cup. i recently moved up to 34 ounces of medium strength coffee in the morning with little cream and sugar per cup. just curious if the quanity is un healthy.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All the coffee gadgets and such are nice, but i need to know how many cups a day are you people drinking and when does it become unhealthy. this thread has word addict in it so I'm sure its more then 1 cup. i recently moved up to 34 ounces of medium strength coffee in the morning with little cream and sugar per cup. just curious if the quanity is un healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just depends on which study you want to pay attention to. You can find people who will say "two cups is too much" and "no amount is bad for you."

Personally I drink 3-5 cups a day of very strong coffee, but I don't do this claiming it's healthy or not, only that I like it.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 AM

i used to drink a french press every morning (2 large cups). now i drink one every morning & afternoon.

i usually drink coffee because a) i love it, and b) i like to feel a bit 'high', like i had done a line or something; obviously coffee doesn't come close, but I have an abusive mind...

I always drink americano, I drink the stuff called 'columbian (or jamaican) dark roast', they grind the beans at the farmers market i go to; i usually buy about half a kilo of the dark roast, and about 1/4 of a kilo of irish cream or french vanilla coffee (these are good for a change now and then).

Probably drink this once a week, only negative side effects are a) i have become dependent on feeling good in the morning (eg i used to just wake up and be like 'sigh' for an hour, now i feel good as soon as coffee kicks in), and if i drink it at like 8 pm i can't sleep.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 AM

Semiunlrelated question, but someone can probably assist me:

Why does drinking 4shotespresso drinks make my pee smell so bad after ?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semiunlrelated question, but someone can probably assist me:

Why does drinking 4shotespresso drinks make my pee smell so bad after ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Google "coffee urine odor" and you will find links.

Other foods can cause urine odor. Some people discovered that eating asparagus makes ones urine smell like rotten eggs.

~ Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the coffee gadgets and such are nice, but i need to know how many cups a day are you people drinking and when does it become unhealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case the Aeropress gadget is helping me cut down. Instead of brewing a ten cup pot and having five cups that morning and five stale cups the next day I can stick to about three fresh and very good cups every morning.

If I don't have coffee I do get headaches late in the day; it's some sort of withdrawel symptom.

~ Rick
Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 PM

Where do the addicts dispose of coffee grinds?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do the addicts dispose of coffee grinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Aeropress they come out of the machine in the shape of a pressed wafer. I let them dry a bit then put them in a Tupperware container in the freezer and eat them the next day for an inexpensive crispy, tasty, high-energy snack.

Good for me, good for the environment.

~ Rick