Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy doesn't have a plus pitch. His best offering is a changeup that would grade as a 55 on the 20-80 scouting scale, and his 89-91 mph fastball, his curveball and slider are all average

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who don't know, guys who are called 55's are projected to be big league regulars. That being said, two average pitches + one 55 pitch is nothing to laugh about - that's a solid #3 on any team and a #2 on a few.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Also, Hughes has a floor of being a #2 pitcher. That's the worst-case scenario with the kid. His scouting grades look something like:

Fastball (93-95 mph) - 70
Curve - 75
Change - 60 (but improving)

That's insane talent. 75 is a dominant, dominant pitch, and a 70 is well above-average. The only examples of an 80 pitch I can think of are Pedro's changeup, Rick Ankiel's curve, and Bob Feller's fastball. Pitches that are outstanding but not true 80's would be something like Zumaya's fastball, Gagne's (even in his prime) fastball, Peavy's slider, Santana's changeup, and Bonderman's slider.

To get an 80 grade means the pitch is nearly unhittable.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 PM

hughes floor is as a number 2?
yea cant miss prospects never miss and there arent a ton of guys who go from a great prospect to nothing
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Hughes has a floor of being a #2 pitcher. That's the worst-case scenario with the kid. His scouting grades look something like:

Curve - 75

That's insane talent. 75 is a dominant, dominant pitch, and a 70 is well above-average. The only examples of an 80 pitch I can think of are Pedro's changeup, Rick Ankiel's curve, and Bob Feller's fastball. Pitches that are outstanding but not true 80's would be something like Zumaya's fastball, Gagne's (even in his prime) fastball, Peavy's slider, Santana's changeup, and Bonderman's slider.

[/ QUOTE ]

what would Mo's cutter(in his prime i.e 95MPH) get?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Curve - 75

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, is Joba's slider an 80?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hughes floor is as a number 2?
yea cant miss prospects never miss and there arent a ton of guys who go from a great prospect to nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling Hughes a prospect is a very loose definition of the term.

Cameron Maybin is a prospect. Daric Barton is a prospect. Ian Kennedy is a prospect. Hughes is not one of those.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Curve - 75

[/ QUOTE ]

what would Mo's cutter(in his prime i.e 95MPH) get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 75.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Curve - 75

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't done much prospect research on Joba, but I don't think any of his pitches grade out at 75 or higher. He's special because he has four plus or better pitches.

EDIT: Also, fwiw, slider's don't often get graded 75+ unless they have ridiculous tilt and fade. Dominant curveballs are much tougher to find than dominant sliders, making it "easier" to get a high-grade curve. The reason for this is because everyone has switched over to sliders (and other fastball variants - splitters, cutters) with the shrinking strike zone making it difficult for true curveballs to get called third strikes. With the high strike being taken away by most umpires, the curve is much less effective in today's game.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Curve - 75

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think moreso liriano's or randy johnson's might be labeled such
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Curve - 75

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think moreso liriano's or randy johnson's might be labeled such

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, RJ's prime slider is definitely an 80.