Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Fitting

So, I did things backwards and bought clubs at the beginning of the summer, went for a fitting this am.

I was a bit concerned that this would be more sales pitch than fitting, seeing as how this joint is a "Callaway Performance Center." But, I'm only mildly concerned.

Overall, I was told that the clubs I have (PingG10, standard lie) are good for me, save that I would do well to have them adjusted 1 degree flatter. I was also told that Ping will do this for free!?!?!?!

He did also recommend the X20 irons, saying that the center of gravity in those was slightly higher than my clubs, and that I'd probably outgrow/play my irons within a year. I tend to hit the ball high, and he said my Pings are high ball clubs, etc. But during the fitting he gave me a grip and set-up tip which lowered my ball flight to just above the normal range, and added about 20 yards anyways. So, I gotta go work on that...

The other thing he mentioned is that my irons swing speed (78-82, 7iron) puts me right on the edge of a stiff or reg flex shaft. I have reg flex steel now, but he mentioned that the X20 come with a Uniflex R/S shaft which is right in between. Again, he said what I have is fine, but I could consider stiff flex shafts too. How would I decide here?

He approved of my woods, which is relieving (Callaway Xseries, stiff flex shafts).

Anyways, I DID NOT get all the data and take it home with me. I should have written it down, as I'm sure that would be much more helpful. Just wanted to throw this up there to get your guys' opinion.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Fitting

Outgrow your irons in a year? How old are you? Pretty weird comment unless you're still a growing kid, and likely a sales pitch for down the road.

The Callaway uniflex shafts are garbage imo.

If you're right in between a stiff/regular, I say go with the stiff. They will be a bit more accurate and will help you keep the ball down better.

And Ping will adjust you clubs for free...just call them.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:01 AM

I think the sales guy probably meant "outgrow" in the sense that he'll want more of a players club in a year.

The G10 is a shovel with a very low COG that is made to hit high straight shots. Combine that with the R shaft and you're likely to have problems if you have any speed in your swing at all. You'll probably need to install new shafts or just get new clubs altogether if the ballflight is a big problem.

Agree with butcho on the rest.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outgrow your irons in a year? How old are you? Pretty weird comment unless you're still a growing kid, and likely a sales pitch for down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah., he meant want more of a players club.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me why you think so?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're right in between a stiff/regular, I say go with the stiff. They will be a bit more accurate and will help you keep the ball down better.

And Ping will adjust you clubs for free...just call them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. If I do keep the Pings think I'll go with the stiff shafts.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent a good amount of time talking with club repair guys. I'm basically just repeating what I've been told by many different people who I trust when it comes to shaft knowledge.

I don't have any data for you if that's what you're looking for.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent a good amount of time talking with club repair guys. I'm basically just repeating what I've been told by many different people who I trust when it comes to shaft knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it this way. No one on the PGA uses uniflex shafts, which would lead me to believe they are junk. Uniflex is like a one size fits all shaft, and is probably a way for Callaway to cut costs.

Stay away from Callaway, go see a Titleist fitter!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put it this way. No one on the PGA uses uniflex shafts, which would lead me to believe they are junk. Uniflex is like a one size fits all shaft, and is probably a way for Callaway to cut costs.

Stay away from Callaway, go see a Titleist fitter!

[/ QUOTE ]

No one on the PGA tour uses the stock shafts that the major brands use in their clubs regardless of whether it is Titleist, Callaway, etc. No one on the PGA tour uses the same clubheads that are sold in retail stores. They may look the same, but they are different.

What people on the PGA tour do has no bearing on what is right for this poster.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Is "Uniflex" meant to be a fit-all Regular and Stiff or is it meant to be a sort of borderline shaft?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is "Uniflex" meant to be a fit-all Regular and Stiff or is it meant to be a sort of borderline shaft?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know and the terms Regular and Stiff don't have any real meaning anyway when it comes to golf equipment. There are no standards, so one company's Stiff shaft can have the same flex and another company's Regular shaft. Some "Regular" shafts are probably rated "Stiff" to help sales, since most guys need a "Stiff" shaft to satisfy their ego.

I suspect the uniflex shaft is simply a shaft that fits the largest number of average golfers who buy equipment off the rack. I know that Callaway offers other shafts. I think you have to go to a qualified club maker/clubfitter in order to determine what kind of shaft you should use. It is very complicated and no one can tell what kind of shaft to use over a message board. Not everyone who does club fitting or club building knows what they are talking about.

I recommend the book "The Search for The Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Wishon it explains a lot about golf equipment and tells how to find a qualified club fitter.

Since the guy is telling you that your equipment is basically fine, I think you should just stick with what you are using for now. When you are ready to get something new, go to a expert clubmaker. I know a good one in the New York area.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should just stick with what you are using for now. When you are ready to get something new, go to a expert clubmaker. I know a good one in the New York area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I did decide to stand pat. I'll get in touch should the time arise.

Thanks.