Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Why do I suck at multiplayer arghh

I agree that learning the map is key. However, beating the game on a higher difficulty will also make you a better player in my opinion. I think you'll be a lot more quicker with the trigger. Accuracy and getting the first shot typically results in the win (kill).
Old 11-24-2007, 08:06 AM

OP,

You probably just don't play enough, which is a good thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM

It sounds like you need practice first and foremost. Personally, what I find sets the great players apart from the good ones is how they see the game. It's a lot like poker. Think about what you're doing and why you're doing. See if there's a better option available. Look at what other people (particularly the better ones) are doing. Take note of the strategies that frustrated you the most and try to adapt them into your own game.

I'm one of the uppper echelon halo 3 players, but every now and then, I'll face some guy who will mop the floor with me. Yes, his accuracy is better, and that accounts for a bit, but at the end of it, I look back and am amazed at how thoroughly I was leveled over and over again.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. CoD4 is my first FPS, so I still suck at it pretty bad. However, every time I play, I notice different things and seem to be getting better. Learning the maps has helped, so does finding a gun you like and being comfortable with it. I also try to watch the killcam, which shows me a little about where they were and how they killed me.

One time I pushed some button at the beginning of the match and started observing them (seeing what they were doing through their eyes). I have no idea how to get back to that option, but it seems like it would be good to do that to the player that seems to come in first the most.

Send me your name if you want and I'll play with you, I'm sure you'll feel better about your skills [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Keep playing. Most FPS online players probably have some other kind of experience playing these scenarios and most are probably more hardcore than you. Experience will make you better. You'll take note of the maps and the good players' strategies etc.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM

You either have it or you dont [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I havent played many FPS's online in awhile and It was pretty easy to beat people up in COD4 for me. I wonder if you're someone Ive beaten up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But anyways, just keep at it. You should get better eventually.

And I dont think playing the campaign will actually make you better. The games AI versus human competition is way different. You just need more experience versus real people.

Oh and please dont be one of those people who always camp in corners even after they kill someone. I see sooooo many players in COD4 do that, and they are always the losers.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

You probably just don't play enough, which is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the typical profile for many of these hardcore online fPS clowns consist of out-of-shape, pimple-faced nerds sitting in their underwear all day while drinking Mountain Dew and munching on Doritos..
They usually have a forearm that is slightly bigger than the other for reasons that are quite obvious.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They usually have a forearm that is slightly bigger than the other for reasons that are quite obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it from vigorously fisting your mom?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 AM

The only FPS I ever got into playing multiplayer online was Half-Life free for alls. I think that on a lot of maps they fit my style very well. I tended to be very good at movement and evasion - thank you long jump module - and mediocre at accuracy in an actual firefight. Keeping moving usually meant you could find people otherwise engaged and pick them off with the grenade launcher, though, or get right up behind them and shotgun their ass.

Anyway, in playing Halo with friends of mine a few years ago, I found that I suffered in a game where the movement of the players wasn't quite as fast, because my relative lack of accuracy became amplified.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 AM

Being good at campaigns and being good at online games have nothing in common. They require 2 different styles of play.