Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Too many bracelet events at the WSOP

While being interviewed at the WSOP ME PPV, Phil Hellmuth expressed concern over WSOP Europe potentially giving out too many bracelets thereby cheapening the meaning of winning one. Obviously he's primarily concerned with his record being broken. But why is he not concerned with the fact that they now have 55 bracelet event in at the Rio and will probably continue to add more each year.

This year, there were something like 6 $1500 NLHE tourneys and 4 $2000 NLHE tourneys with identical structures [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] IMO there should be just one bracelet event for each game. 1 PLO, 1 NLHE, 1 six handed NLHE, etc. with the bracelet event being the largest buyin. They could still run all the others, but give out a ring, trophey, or even just the money.

That way there would be just one "World Champion" each year for each possible game variant.

What do you think?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Too many bracelet events at the WSOP

agree

I dunno why the winner of some $1500 event gets the same bracelet as the winner of 50k horse or ME
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 PM

The 'bracelet' is an excellent marketing tool to get more fish to play in the early events.

I don't care if they give away a bracelet, a watch, a trophy, or a green jacket. If they are bringing in the fish then they are doing a good job.

The mere fact that someone thinks they are cheapening the bracelet means that the WSOP has done an excellent job of marketing themselves as a premier event and through that marketing they are able to produce more fish filled events with bigger prizepools.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 'bracelet' is an excellent marketing tool to get more fish to play in the early events.

I don't care if they give away a bracelet, a watch, a trophy, or a green jacket. If they are bringing in the fish then they are doing a good job.

The mere fact that someone thinks they are cheapening the bracelet means that the WSOP has done an excellent job of marketing themselves as a premier event and through that marketing they are able to produce more fish filled events with bigger prizepools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Just follow the money trail. More bracelet events = more money for Harrah's. And they care alot more about that than about the integrity of bracelets.

I do like the OP's points and think it's a great idea to keep all events but just award less bracelets. Possibly though it can be agrued that a bracelet for $1500 nlhe is a different accomplishment than a bracelet for $5000 nlhe since many more players can afford $1500 so it is a different field. However, four bracelets for $1500 nlhe is obviously not necessary.

But I don't see how less bracelets will ever happen as long as the main goal of the organization running the WSOP is to make money.

Maybe they can differentiate between gold/silver/bronze bracelets or something to that effect.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That way there would be just one "World Champion" each year for each possible game variant.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one world champion in each variant.
Bracelet IS NOT EQUAL World Champion!

Only the highest buy-in event in each variant was awarded a bracelet AND the WC title. All others "only" received the bracelet.

Shadow
Old 07-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Bracelet in $1500 event = making it through 3k players. Bracelet in many of the 5pm cheaper events mean playing through 300ish players. Which one is tougher to win?

Devo
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 AM

55 events yet what 52 or 53 winners, more tourneys will not automatically mean #11 will happen any quicker, many players might win 1 or 2 and never be heard of again, helmuth has no worries
Old 07-22-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
55 events yet what 52 or 53 winners, more tourneys will not automatically mean #11 will happen any quicker, many players might win 1 or 2 and never be heard of again, helmuth has no worries

[/ QUOTE ]

gaurangp,
we made a bet and you lost. I would PM you but you shut off PMs after you lost the bet. Please pay me the money that you owe me or at least start accepting PMs and send me a message apologizing for scamming me.

Steve
Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 AM

who cares if the integrity of the bracelet is lessened and their value is cheapened? People will just start to ignore people with less than 2 or 3 bracelets as top performers in the WSOP, whereas 6 years ago, almost anyone with a bracelet was held in a somewhat high regard.

Besides, either way, the value of bracelets is going to decrease. There's this thing called "time." I suppose if Phil had his way, bracelets would be discontinued and his record of 11 would stand for eternity.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 AM

I didn't get that from what he said during the interview at all. He was saying it would cheapen the events here in the US if they continued to add more and more outside of Vegas. Hard to not agree with him especially when you hear people like Eric Lindgren say the same thing and have zero bracelets.