Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Bluffed off best hand?

Looking back at this I think I was bluffed - what do you think? The 2 on the river doesn't change much except he could now make a straight with A3. If he had a straight on the turn he should surely bet it with the flush draw out. Should I have just bet the turn?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $35.30
Button: $41.25
SB: $12.45
BB: $24.30

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($2.05, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2.05</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.15, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.15, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.05</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $15.3</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $12.25 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $12.25
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Bluffed off best hand?

There is an argument for saying you bet weak so he raised. But at this limit, people aren't usually that smart as they expect you to call.
Don't make a blocking bet on the river, then he might not try to bluff you. But it's a safe fold.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM

I was betting more as a value-bet than as a blocker, hoping he'd call with 2 pair or a lower set.

Do you bet the turn?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was betting more as a value-bet than as a blocker, hoping he'd call with 2 pair or a lower set.

Do you bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do bet the turn, I expect more people on the flop to be calling with a flush draw than the straight draw. So I would still expect to be ahead more often than not.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:21 AM

I lead this turn and i dont think you were bluffed. Any combination of a 3 + 2,4,5,6 gives him a straight.

I disagree with ribbo about the blocking bet. A second check after a pot-size flop bet looks extremely weak here, more so than a blocking bet on the river. A bet on this river can look like third best straight ect.

You weren't bluffed.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 AM

yeah this isn't a bluff that often at these levels, although the check behind on the turn if it did make his hand is a weird play and deserves a note. I think more likely is he had a 3 with his nut flush draw and spiked the wheel, which would also deserve a note since you should then be weak-leading nut straights in these sorts of spots.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM

I got the itch to reraise.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Yeah I think this is A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] way more than a bluff, I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

One thing that has helped me a lot recently in spots like this is PAHUD. Somebody who c/r's a particular street a ton (20%+) has found out ppl fold a lot and is abusing it and gets looked up lightly. You'd be surprised how many times the stat reads "1/276" or something which makes folding REALLY easy.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM

At this level, this can easily be a slow played 78 as well as a wheel, especially if he as a heart draw to boot... don't sweat this fold at all. (If he shows you a bluff, keep it in mind for the future because 9 out of 10 river bluffers can't help themselves)

Also, try and keep track of how many tables your opponents are on, because if there are on 4-6 (or more), they often miss [censored] and then wake up very suddenly.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, try and keep track of how many tables your opponents are on, because if there are on 4-6 (or more), they often miss [censored] and then wake up very suddenly.

[/ QUOTE ]I found out about this last night when I was 4-tabling for the first time. My check-raise % went wayyyy up, although not on purpose. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

This hand is a pretty clear fold as many have pointed out. I need to improve my hand reading skills as I didn't realise until someone pointed it out that a random 3 with any of A,2,4,5,6,7 will give him a straight.