Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Default WSOP Rules: Show One & Backing

The WSOP has posted their rules. On the good side, the F-Bomb rule has been modified. However, two new rules warrant some discussion.

First, Rule 84 states, "At the end of a hand, if a player exposes one hole card, he or she must also show the other hole card if asked to do so by any player." So I guess I won't be showing an ace or a 7 or whatever during any WSOP event.

Second, Harrah's is interpreting their Rule 7 ("Winners are responsible for payment of any and all taxes, licenses, registrations and other fees associated with tournament registration and winnings.") so that they will issue one W-2G only for every cash, to the actual winner (I spoke to the Assistant Tournament Director who told me this). Thus, if you are backed, you will have to prepare W-2Gs or 1099-MISCs at the end of the year for your backers. And if you're a Canadian or other foreigner, you won't be able to "sell" your win to an American so that you don't have to deal with the withholding.

-- Russ Fox
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: WSOP Rules: Show One & Backing

The Tax issue for a professional in the states won't be an issue, but it does seem to make it harder on amatures.

The most interesting rules for me are the ones stating that 'excessive chatter' is not allowed, and the rule involving size of card protectors. These both could become destractions if they are strictly enforced.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM

rule #93 could provide some drama on the main event bubble.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it different from last year?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it different from last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year they experimented with round for round instead of hand for hand. This was partly because of the painful bubble in the ME in 2005, which was at the start of the day and lasted a LONG time.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM

But the round for round experiment failed because it resulted in a lot of payouts lower than the buy-in shortly after the bubble.

Shadow
Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM

yeah #93 sucks bad
Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM

What is up with rule #84 (in the OP)? It seems like a bad/novice interpretation of the phrase; 'Show one, show all'. That phrase means that if you show one player at the table your cards then you must show all players at the table. It never, ever meant; 'Show one card, show all cards'.

Some other ones I found...interesting:

65. There is no cap on the number of raises in no-limit games. A raise must be at least the size of the previous raise. In limit events, there will be a limit of one bet and four raises even when heads up until the tournament is down to two players. Once the tournament becomes heads-up, the rule does not apply. There may be unlimited raises at the heads-up level.

Pretty much guaranteed somebody is going to think that since the hand is HU that there are unlimited raises.

From #64: Players going from a broken table to fill in seats assume the rights and responsibilities of the position. They can get the big blind, the small blind or the button. The only place they cannot get a hand is between the small blind and the button.

I don't recall ever getting moved to the button...is this standard?

55. There will be no foreign objects on the table except for a maximum of one card cap. Card caps can be no larger than two (2) inches in diameter and no more than one-half (1/2) inch in depth.

Doesn't that eliminate Fossilman's fossil?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is up with rule #84 (in the OP)? It seems like a bad/novice interpretation of the phrase; 'Show one, show all'. That phrase means that if you show one player at the table your cards then you must show all players at the table. It never, ever meant; 'Show one card, show all cards'.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't that eliminate Fossilman's fossil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Fossilman, this is his explanation for the rule (actually two different rules).
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM

The "show one card, show both cards" rule is not part of the TDA rules and is not standard in Southern California.

-- Russ Fox