Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Book Club (feat. Jesus)

There was a strange envelope stuffed in my mail box today. Inside was a book called "Know Why You Believe ." Turns out an old friend is trying to convert me to Evangelical Christianity. Last time I talked to this guy over email he told me about how gay people need to be converted. lol.

I know this dude means well and would not be receptive to my atheism, so I usually ignore him on the Jesus front. However, having literature sent to me is a new development, so I figured I would read it. I couldn't get past the second page without lol-ing:

[ QUOTE ]
It is quite impossible to avoid using faith--even setting aside religous faith. We have faith in the doctor, faith in the grocery store, faith in the person who asks us for a date. (what?) We even have faith that the train will arrive to take us to work or that the mail carrier will bring our paycheck. The scientist has faith in the scientific method learned from previous scientists, assuming they were honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. So, that piece of sweetness aside, how do I handle this? I am at an age where I don't really feel bad telling people who are irrational to f**k off. Even family and friends if I feel like it's important. I would want it that way if the tables were turned so that's how I do. I don't want to be a person who takes things too seriously, but it bothers me that this guy teaches this stuff to kids.

Cliff Notes:
Someone sent me a Jesus-y book and every page of it puts me on life-tilt.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Book Club (feat. Jesus)

Throw it away.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 PM

send it back
Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw it away.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about it... but it might be nice to do some research into what the kids are getting fed these days.

lol @ sending it back. That might be an option.

This book totally misses it's mark at converting fence-sitters. The source of evidence is Bible quotes and it refutes evolution with the wave of a hand. There are also cute little quotes in the columns, my favorite so far is "No opinion poll is going to make God go away." lol.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 AM

Send him pictures of you eating the book.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 AM

For some reason I have had some of this crap on my door 3 or 4 times. It's is weird because my driveway is probably 60-75 yards long. I don't know if they drive up or walk up or what, but they leave booklets and one time a hand written note with a phone #. We called them at 2 in the morning once and they weren't too kind then.