Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: QJs used to be one of my favorite hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there just aren't many people floating or at least posting hands inwhich they float in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because cold calling before the flop is almost always a shitty play in limit hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp -

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends entirely on game conditions. Know the conditions of the table you are at and the players that are there.

I play regularly in games where if UTG raises and I'm UTG+1, I'll cold call with any pocket pair down to 22, and any suited connector down to 87s. Because I KNOW that 6 others are cold calling behind me. And I KNOW that they are all going to pay me off. (Like the guy tonight who cold called my QQ with 22, and went to 4 bets on the turn and 9 bets on the river when he had bottom set and I had the nut top set.)

Know you're table and play accordingly.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:39 AM

I can't see 3 betting this flop. it's uncoordinated, no flush draws, and you have a mediocre kicker to go along with top pair. He probably has a set and you are drawing thin. I say call down at best.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A guy like that check raises the flop, with stats like his, you are very likely a dead duck.

I call his flop raise, do not reraise, and c/f the turn UI.

When a guy like this not only check raises but then caps the flop, you have to feel like you're beat. Get him on some other hand.

bill c

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess this is one of those hands where the pot size fooled me into doing something else. I put him on 77/66/76s given the action, but the pot was almost 8BBs on the turn and I might be wrong about his range...I thought I wasn't supposed to fold in big pots like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember, you made the pot big. you didn't have the big of an edge to 3 bet the flop... and you put him in 66 or 77. I would have a hard time folding too, but minimize your potential loss.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:59 AM

since you have a read on him, you can look at the long run, but more importantly the short run. Point Blank spelled it out for you. Yes in the long run... but here and now...
you are probably dead. the main thing to remember, which is hard for most of us, it to maximize your winnings, and minimize your losses. Here you gave away too much, when you could have saved 2-3 BB after the cap. Hopefully this helps a little. If anyone disagrees please let me know. I am no pro.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM

that's ok. we all go through that doubt... did he , didn't he. I need to know!!
that's a tough one.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My statement was more of a rhetorical one though in that I am off lately and making weird reads too far in one direction or the other and thus bad decisions post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need to single-table for awhile IMO. If you're putting a rock (or even a fullring unknown honestly) on bottom pairs and underpairs after a checkraise then it would help to make yourself verbalize your reasoning behind the ranges you give your opponents in real-time.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you need to single-table for awhile IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely true. I think a lot of people would beneift from this actually.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're putting a rock (or even a fullring unknown honestly) on bottom pairs and underpairs after a checkraise then it would help to make yourself verbalize your reasoning behind the ranges you give your opponents in real-time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not so much having a problem with the ranges as I am with the follow-through. I put him on the correct range but saw a decent pot that was now HU and thought about what 2p2 would think if I folded. Basically, I think this site made me better at poker.... and then made me worse when I tried to take my game to "the next level" (whatever that means).
Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM

Preflop: I don't make this cold-call.

Flop: I'd probably call the c/r and probably call down in the heat of the moment. I'd like to be able to find a fold in there somewhere, though.

As played, once he caps, you can probably lay it down right there because you're clearly way behind and don't even really want to improve. If you do improve, you'll likely still be behind but won't be able to eject.

You've got a decent stat read--slow down and use it. A flop c/r frequently indicates weakness, but probably not with this opponent.

Correction: Catching a jack would put you ahead of a number of his probable holdings
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
float preflop is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there just aren't many people floating or at least posting hands inwhich they float in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably because cold calling before the flop is almost always a shitty play in limit hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp -

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends entirely on game conditions. Know the conditions of the table you are at and the players that are there.

I play regularly in games where if UTG raises and I'm UTG+1, I'll cold call with any pocket pair down to 22, and any suited connector down to 87s. Because I KNOW that 6 others are cold calling behind me. And I KNOW that they are all going to pay me off. (Like the guy tonight who cold called my QQ with 22, and went to 4 bets on the turn and 9 bets on the river when he had bottom set and I had the nut top set.)

Know you're table and play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did write almost always, the table conditions you describe are not common above 10/20 except in a few locals.